2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2009 1:22 PM by Skillz'nMagic

EPO 3.5 and WSUS

I am new to this. I inherited some apps that I have never worked with (EPO). I have installed a WSUS 3.0 server. Clients report and are updating. I am using Windows 2003 server environment. The clients PC's are not updating the newest virus dat files. Even when we say update now. We want to install EPO on the WSUS server.

How do I do this and push out all the updates to the client machines WITHOUT login scripts.
      Is it possible. They do not log onto the WSUS but report. The WSUS see the machines so I assume it can push the updated EPO and dat files to the machines.

Thanks
      xofyt
        • 1. RE: EPO 3.5 and WSUS
          ePO (McAfee) and WSUS (Microsoft) don't have anything in common. Every PC has to have McAfee agent to be able to communicate with your ePO server to update/download a new signatures/patches etc.

I'm not really sure whether you understand ePO and how all the things work (agent, repository, tasks, policies ...) since it's quite different approach than WSUS or SMS server. Did you have time to go through the docs? You need that knowledge to administer ePO and frankly, I think that ePO is much more complicated than WSUS.

Also you can have both the apps installed on a same server, not a problem at all.
          • 2. RE: EPO 3.5 and WSUS
            I think you have WSUS (Windows Server Update Services) and SCCM (System Center Configuration Manager) confused.

WSUS is only a Windows update repository. You use this as a central facility to approve and store Windows updates.

SCCM is what lets you micro manage your PC's and do things such as deploy software.

So you have a couple options on deployment of your ePO agents. If you're running Active Directory you can use ePolicy to deploy the agents or you can deploy it with Group Policy in AD.

If you do not have AD (like me) you will need to use some other form of login scripts or manual installation.