0 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2009 10:44 AM by McLovin

Epolicy 4.0 database management

Last time I checked this in the Epolicy 4 manual, it didn't work and I received a general connection to database error. Was there ever an update to the manual for this process?

I have a .mdb and .ldf set that need to be smaller and I want to use the routine database maitnenance to keep the database slim. It's getting backed up nightly but that doesn't free up the space the database is using or truncate the .ldf file.

I have setup weekly server taks to purge Audit Logs, Compliance History, Event Logs, Notification Logs, Server Task Logs, SiteAdvisor logs, etc.

I think the epo manual could add a little more for the maintenance section of the database but that's just me. Latest 4.02 manual lists the following for my default install.

Task
      1 Type the following at the command prompt (the commands are case sensitive):
      SQLMAINT -S <SERVER> -U <USER> -P <PASSWORD> -D <DATABASE> -RebldIdx 5 -RmUnusedSpace 50 10
      -UpdOptiStats 15
      Where <SERVER> is the name of the server, where <USER> and <PASSWORD> are the
      user name and password of the user account, and where <DATABASE> is the name of the
      database. The default database name is EPO_<SERVER> where <SERVER> is the name
      of the ePolicy Orchestrator server.
      2 Press ENTER.

For the user and pass, I've tried my default logon creds that I use to log in to the EPO console every day, isn't that what I'm supposed to use?

Not only did the dir path change for sql maint util, but it doesn't use EPO_servername anymore for the database name, it's now ePO4_servername (documentation still lists old servername method). Also, it mentions to put the database in simple recovery mode but fails to mention how to do this on the newer version of sql mini, msde, mysql, whichever it uses now.

This is the actual error I receive. It's not expecting something crazy like a blank sa user \ password is it? Or domain account?

Microsoft (R) SQLMaint Utility (Unicode), Version 9.00.1399.06
      Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation.

[Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: 08001)] Error 0: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server
      Driver][Shared Memory]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.
      [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Shared Memory]ConnectionOpen (Connect()).

Did anyone produce any real documentation for maintaining the epolicy 4 database on a standard small install for under 1,000 machine deployments? More than a little frustrating i think. If the documentation were updated for Epolicy 4, that would be a start I think. Passing off the old epo 3 docs with this revamped version without document revision seems wrong to me.