5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2009 9:15 AM by jmaxwell

Repository selecting order question.

Are anyone please explain what exactly mechanism using MA4 when choosing repository from list of enabled repository.

Something strange happens. If I have lets says, 3 distributed repository and run replication just for one from them, agent going directly to this one even in repository list updated repository not first.

If I disable updated repository in agent policy, and no more updated repository, agent fail update process with message " no valid repository found.."

Using ePO4 Patch3 with MA4 Patch1.

Thank a lot.
        • 1. RE: Repository selecting order question.
          Laszlo G
          When using more than one repository you must ensure that in the MA policies you have selected a specific order and the "selected list" is checked instead of resolving by ping
          • 2. RE: Repository selecting order question.
            Repository selection depends ona number of factors, especially the configuration:

ping time - the agent tries to find the closest repository based on ping times, but it's kind of fuzzy.

subnet value - the agent tries to calculate the closest repository by comparing it's ip address with the address of the repositories.

user-defined list - the agent contacts the repositories in the list in the given order.

What fits best in your environment is up to you, but here's a very important fact:

The agent retrieves the update files from first the repository it can succesfully connect to, and that repository does not necessarily have the latest files. That means that the agent doesn't check multiple repositories for the one with the most updated files.
            • 3. RE: Repository selecting order question.
              jmaxwell

The agent retrieves the update files from first the repository it can succesfully connect to, and that repository does not necessarily have the latest files. That means that the agent doesn't check multiple repositories for the one with the most updated files.

Can anyone else confirm this ? - not saying it's wrong - just not how I thought it worked :confused:

I just thought that the "non-replicated" repositories woukld be seen as "invalid repositories" as they were not up to date when compared with the master repository pkgcatalog.z (or whatever it's called) and henece "skipped"....:confused:

Jim
              • 4. RE: Repository selecting order question.
                Thanks Ulyses31 and Scorchspam for replies, but not relevant.
                Of course, in MA policy, I choose "Use order in repository list" and sort repositories in specific order.

Yea Jim.
                But how MA4 knows which repository replicated and which not.
                Anyway, CMA 3.6 tried to update from repositories exactly by order defined in policy. In MA4 algorithm changed to something undocumented, you can try by yourself .

Alex
                • 5. RE: Repository selecting order question.
                  jmaxwell

Yea Jim.
                  But how MA4 knows which repository replicated and which not.
                  Anyway, CMA 3.6 tried to update from repositories exactly by order defined in policy. In MA4 algorithm changed to something undocumented, you can try by yourself .

Alex

Thanks Alex - I would test if I had ePO 4 ;)

I just thought that the agents checked the master repository status compared to their locally held ".z" or ".xml" info. on ASCI communications and hence could tell if the repository status had changed - can't for the life of me say why I think tis though - LOL - just a "feeling" - hope someone who "knows" about this posts soon :D

Jim