2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2017 12:40 AM by johnmoe

EPO 4.6.0 Upgrade

dunky2

Hi there,

We are trying to finally upgrade our existing EPO 4.6.0 (build 1029) to the latest version going through the following upgrade paths below
      1. Upgrade to 4.6.8
      2. Upgrade to 5.3.1
      3. Upgrade to 5.9.0

We run a closed system with no internet connections, hence the version that we are currently on, there had been no real requirement for the software, but we are now exercising a task to upgarde to the latest version anyway.

However when we take the first step to upgrade to 4.6.8 we hit an issue where the installation rolls back when it has issues trying to stop the tomcat5.exe service, at least i think thats what the issue is, the service sticks at the stopping stage and the rollback process starts on the installer.

The server is running Windows 2008 R2 SP1 and the database is already on SQL2008 Express R2.

Is it worthwhile even trying to do an in-place upgarde of the software, or is it just best to uninstall the version that we have and start from scratch using the latest version?
      Is it possible to export all systems / policies from our existing installation and then import these into a fresh installation?

Any suggestions / pointers as to where the issue may be would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Duncan

• 1. Re: EPO 4.6.0 Upgrade
          Moe Hassan

dunky2, there are many options you can take. Each has it's benefits/issues. I'm not sure which products you are using and how many systems are being managed.

start from scratch : cleanest / easiest method BUT involves reconnecting all nodes again to new ePO server. You can save the agent keys from old server and import to new one. In addition you will also export policies/tasks etc and "import" all of these into the new server.

in-place upgrade : you can try this method, should be fine if all incompatibilities are resolved prior to each upgrade. i would take a full backup of epo server and database before every upgrade.

setup secondary and transfer: similar to other method but reduces some work.. so you will setup a new server, then register it with current ePO server. you will need to exchange server keys. Once that's done, you can slowly "transferring" systems/policies/tasks etc.

• 2. Re: EPO 4.6.0 Upgrade
            johnmoe

Having done the upgrade from 4.6 to 5.1 to 5.3, I'm now looking at transferring the systems to a new server when I go to 5.9.  I've already done the client upgrades from MA 4.6 and 4.8 to 5.0.5, and am finishing the migration from VSE to ENS, so all my policies are pretty new anyway.  Having said that, there are a few "legacy" (read prior admin-installed) products in there that aren't doing anything and are having trouble uninstalling, and I've got some issues with my SQL database setup as well, so I have more reason than average to not go the in-place upgrade route.  Just my two cents, for what it's worth.