8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2017 7:48 AM by woody188

VSE Patch Version for Successful Migration to ENS 10.5

tapearson0617

I have heard a couple different answers to this question, however, I need to know which is the necessary patch version of VSE in order to perform an in-place upgrade of VSE to ENS v10.5. McAfee VSE 8.8.1528 (P7) is currently installed on all servers and workstations.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: VSE Patch Version for Successful Migration to ENS 10.5
          Pmaquoi

In my case i started migration with VSE Patch 8 and agent 5.0.4.449 installed. 1000 computers were migrated.

next 8000 and 600 servers will be migrated with agent 5.0.5 installed. I want to use the new feature that display a message when user wants to close the computer during an installation process.

Did you had a look here ?

McAfee Corporate KB - Recommended upgrade paths to Endpoint Security 10.x KB87476

• 2. Re: VSE Patch Version for Successful Migration to ENS 10.5
            johnmoe

Most of my VSE clients had been at patch 7 and upgraded fine to ENS 10.5.  Don't know if it's supported, but it worked for me.  Since I was already in the process of doing my ENS migration when patch 8 came out, we never used it.  I believe some older systems (some no patch, some patch 4) also came across, but couldn't tell you that with certainty.

next 8000 and 600 servers will be migrated with agent 5.0.5 installed. I want to use the new feature that display a message when user wants to close the computer during an installation process.

What feature is this?  Sounds interesting and useful, but I can't see a likely candidate in my agent policies?

• 3. Re: VSE Patch Version for Successful Migration to ENS 10.5
              Pmaquoi

don't  you motsake Patch 8 and 9 ?.

Since I was already in the process of doing my ENS migration when patch 8 came out, we never used it.

Patch 8 is alive since more than one year now, long before ENS disponibility. Patch 9 has been launched recently

What feature is this?

just a new option in the agent policy

an extract from the release note

"....in the event of shutdown or restart, McAfee Agent 5.0.5 now provides additional information to the user when products are being deployed onto the system. If the user initiates system shutdown or restart when the agent is deploying products, McAfee Agent notifies the user that the shutdown cannot continue. If continued, this might cause stability issues to the operating system. The user can still proceed with the shutdown operation. Once the product deployment is complete, the user can reinitiate shutdown later by clicking Cancel on the notification displayed. If not, the system automatically proceeds for shutdown.

McAfee product updates such as DAT and content updates are not affected by this new feature...."

• 4. Re: VSE Patch Version for Successful Migration to ENS 10.5
                johnmoe

Hmm, maybe Patch 8 had come out a bit before, but when I inherited the ePO and VSE environment, our VSE clients were on in a mess on either no patch, Patch 4, or Patch 7.  My first directive was to upgrade everything to ENS 10, so it didn't make sense for me to put effort into cleaning up the broken environment.

Thanks for the info on the new agent features; I'm going to have to give that one some testing methinks...

• 5. Re: VSE Patch Version for Successful Migration to ENS 10.5
                  woody188

Doesn't really matter which version of VSE you have currently installed. ENS is a new product and it replaces VSE entirely. The only thing that will matter is the migration of your VSE ePO policies to ENS. We took the opportunity to start out fresh and use the default policies since our old policies were all messed up. Takes a lot of tuning but after about 6 months of testing we are to the point where we believe we are ready to roll out to over 6,000 workstations.

You will want to have at least Agent 5.0.4 especially if you have any Win10AU systems in your environment. You can get by with 5.0.2.188 but I found it all to work much better with Agent 5.0.4.283 or higher.

Also, if you have HIPS, might want to review if you still want to operate it as ENS's firewall and exploit prevention include a lot of HIPS rules so it may no longer be needed as a separate install.

• 6. Re: VSE Patch Version for Successful Migration to ENS 10.5
                    johnmoe

ENS 10.5 Firewall would run side by side with HIPS, but it'd disable the HIPS firewall piece and let ENS manage the firewall.  I've been told by my technical reps that 10.5.1 now completely replaces HIPS.

• 7. Re: VSE Patch Version for Successful Migration to ENS 10.5
                      Pmaquoi

i can confirm too that 10.5.1 that i use now fully replace hips.

we are preparing a massive deployment targeting 9000 workstations and 700 Microsoft servers

Actually 1100 WKS are Under ENS since 4 monthes for test purpose. We were awaiting the patch 1 to go further. As it is now available, our next deployment phase will start in a few days.

• 8. Re: VSE Patch Version for Successful Migration to ENS 10.5
                        woody188

10.5.1 is what I have us up to as well. I have about the same amount of Windows servers but I haven't even started testing on them yet. My desktops push the envelope while my servers lag so far behind. I almost don't have enough product version slots.

We have MA 5.0.5 and ENS 10.2.1 out to a around 20 of our 50 or so Red Hat servers. Agent 5.0.4 was buggy on Linux. Stopped DAT updates and then segmentation faults resulting in the Agent crashing. This kind of stuff should be caught by quality tests.