4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2017 11:10 AM by csavage

What Is NTDLL.SYS?

csavage

I am tracking down a series of server crashes that involve device driver NTDLL.SYS.  I have not been able to find any such file or driver, but circumstantial evidence points to McAfee VirusScan.. 

Is ntdll.sys part of any McAfee product, such as VirusScan 8.8 or the McAfee Agent?

If ntdll.sys is a McAfee file, why is it that I cannot find this file anywhere on the affected system, or any others where VirusScan Enterprise is installed, for that matter?

Thanks for your attention,

Charlie

• 1. Re: What Is NTDLL.SYS?
          catdaddy

csavage,

I am assuming you are referring to the Corporate product? I am moving this for better exposure and better assistance.

• 3. Re: What Is NTDLL.SYS?
            Moe Hassan

Charlie, ntdll.sys is a Microsoft Windows file. Did you install recent updates/drivers on those systems? Or recent McAfee software update?

PS C:\Users\hassanmk> Get-ItemProperty C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll |format-list

Directory: C:\Windows\System32

Name           : ntdll.dll

Length         : 1886344

CreationTime   : 1/12/2017 8:35:32 PM

LastWriteTime  : 11/11/2016 5:13:03 AM

LastAccessTime : 1/12/2017 8:35:32 PM

Mode           : -a----

LinkType       : HardLink

Target         : {C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-ntdll_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.14393.47 9_none_9292708a9a2cd04b

\ntdll.dll}

VersionInfo    : File:             C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll

InternalName:     ntdll.dll

OriginalFilename: ntdll.dll.mui

FileVersion:      10.0.14393.206 (rs1_release.160915-0644)

FileDescription:  NT Layer DLL

Product:          Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

ProductVersion:   10.0.14393.206

Debug:            False

Patched:          False

PreRelease:       False

PrivateBuild:     False

SpecialBuild:     False

Language:         English (United States)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 4. Re: What Is NTDLL.SYS?
              csavage

The thing that I am trying to identify is ntdll.SYS, not ntdll.dll.  So far, I am unable to find any file named ntdll.sys.  Yet it shows up in crash dump files as a third-party driver.  There is some indication that ntdll.sys is part of the McAfee Complete EndPoint Protection Business stack, probably VirusScan Enterprise.  Right now I am simply trying to confirm or deny that ntdll.sys is a McAfee product, and beyond that, find out what this device driver is and what it is a part of.

- Charlie