3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2017 3:14 AM by pierce

ePO rebooted, now server and application server services refuse to start?

pierce

Any ideas on this one?

Server was fine, rebooted this weekend and now neither of the server services will start. one just starts then stops straight away (no mcafee logs written to disk, event viewer said error because "completed successfully".

Have spoken to mcafee support and without logs they have no idea, restored my server to back a week ago when it was working and it is showing the same issue.

One of my techs thinks there might be something else using one of the ports of ePO which would stop tomcat from starting, but unable to test/validate if this is the case.

• 1. Re: ePO rebooted, now server and application server services refuse to start?
          johnmoe

Well, the last bit is easy to check: with the server up but the ePO services not running, run 'netstat -ano' and see if anything is listening already listening on TCP ports 80, 443, 8443, and 8444.  If netstat doesn't show anything listening, then the ports are free.  If it does show something listening, the last column is the PID of the process using that port.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: ePO rebooted, now server and application server services refuse to start?
            johnmoe

Oh, and if nothing is listening, it might be useful to run the service command from a command prompt and see what it says then.  For instance, for the Application Server service, while it's stopped you could try running the command in "Path to executable", which for me is:

• "C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\bin\tomcat7.exe" //RS//MCAFEETOMCATSRV530

If it starts successfully, you'll probably need to use Task Manager to stop it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: ePO rebooted, now server and application server services refuse to start?
              pierce

Thanks Johnmoe, tried the manually starting the service, but as tomcat not installed just generated other errors that were not very useful.

ran the netstat commands and no services running using similar ports so was also a dead end.

Solution I stumbled into in the end...

Opened the tomcat bin folder with command prompt

C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\bin

starting running whatever .bat files were in here, eventually "configtest.bat" threw some random java VM error message.

I had updated java on this box a month and a half ago, the .bak folder was still in the EPO directory. replaced the current JRE folder with the .bak JRE folder, and away you go services started up and worked without issue.

Server had been rebooted many times since upgrade, so think that folder somehow got corrupted in someway, can't think of anything else that might have caused it.

This was a 3 day outage of my ePO server, and because we were restoring images from a week or two prior nothing worked as the java had been updated a month and a half ago.