8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2009 8:56 AM by harris_s

Tags in ePO 4.0

harris_s
      Hope someone can help, I'm having a little problem with tagging, we have a xp pro client which has some mail activity through it on port 25, so the usual workstation tag that's applied is stopping this with the mass mailing work policy. I have changed the policy so that if the tag is 'server' then the mass mailing rule is ignored. So to make this work I simply attribute the 'server' tag to the xp pro pc. Problem is, when waking up the agent on this PC the tag gets reset to 'server, workstation'. I've a similar issue with Windows Server 2008 getting recognised as a 'workstation', but changed this one to server and it has remained that way. Should a wakeup call reset the tag?

Hope you can help,
        • 1. RE: Tags in ePO 4.0
          The Default Server / Workstation Tags are evaluated on each Agent-Server communication.

You can verify this yourself by going into Systems > Tag Catalog, and choosing one of them - you'll see the summary on the right hand pane.

It's evaluated by the OS as reported by the agent.

Instead of trying to change the TAG, why not create a group (for exclusions to normal Mass-mailing policies), set the policy accordingly, and move the machine into that group?
          • 2. RE: Tags in ePO 4.0
            harris_s
            That's kind of what I've done, the tag 'servers' has the mass mailing rule deactivated, where as the workstation rule has it activated. I've set the tag on the PC to 'server', which it's now keeping and added an exclude tag for 'workstation' too on the pc. When I go to tag catalog it shows the idetified pc as an exclusion, only problem is it never seems to clear the 'mass-mailing rule', i manually remove and 5 mins after it added it again. Strange thing is I have a similar tag for a windows 2008 server which was found as 'workstation', this one seems to work ok.
            • 3. RE: Tags in ePO 4.0
              Let me try and be clearer...

I suggest you do not set the tag on the PC in question to Server - it will always get a tag of workstation as well. Leave it to tag as workstation, but set up a group (e.g. workstations>exclusions>massmailing) and set the policy for that group so that mass-mailing is excluded. Put the pc (still as tag=workstation) into that group and wake it up.

It should no longer block the massmailing (because of policy), and has the tag applied correctly, saving you grief in the long run.

The reason (I think) you're not seeing the exclusion is - which rule does it apply? - the workstation one (which is evaluated at each ASCI automatically) which says block massmailing, or the server one (the one you've set) - which allows massmailing. I don't know, but in such cases I'd expect the most restrictive policy to apply, and mass-mailing to be blocked.

You've got two mutually exclusive rules in there...
              • 4. RE: Tags in ePO 4.0
                harris_s
                Ah...

Will give it a go, many thanks
                • 5. RE: Tags in ePO 4.0
                  harris_s
                  Tried but no joy. Set up a group put the pc in it. Changed the policy so it broke inheritance, then changed the policy for workstation to disable massmailing. End product, mass mailing keeps on ticking itself on the 'problem' pc, may just have to resort to removal of the agent, problem is every hour an ad sync runs and then puts the agent back on sad
                  • 6. RE: Tags in ePO 4.0
                    harris_s
                    Correction, it may well have worked ;),null will wait and see!
                    • 7. RE: Tags in ePO 4.0
                      harris_s
                      It did work, but then on checking other 'workstations' I noticed all workstations now have mass mailing deactivated sad
                      • 8. RE: Tags in ePO 4.0
                        harris_s
                        Think I've managed to sort it by creating a new policy catalogue with that 1 pc assigned to it happy