4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2009 4:40 PM by nuditarian

ePO 4 Alert Manager

DeanBaker
      Hi All.

I have just registered and this is my first post.

I am building a ePO 4 server and will be using Virus Scan 8.7i. Is there a version of Alert Manager for ePO 4? I can see in the Virus Scan 8.7 policies there is one for alerting and it has Alert Manager options but it says on the McAfee download site that Alert Manager 4.7.1 is for ePO 3.6.x only. Does ePO 4 use Alert Manager of does it have its own built in?

Thanks in advance.
      Dean
        • 1. RE: ePO 4 Alert Manager
          jmaxwell
          ePO uses it's own alerting and reporting mechanism - it's not quite as "real time" as Alert Manager (was) but as the Alert Manager product is no longer supported that's largely a moot point....

Jim
          • 2. RE: ePO 4 Alert Manager
            DeanBaker
            Hi Jim.

Thanks for reply. I was thinking that was the case and im glad you confirmed it for me. When setting up the alerting for Virus Scan 8.7i do I need to configure the alerting policy or is that built in behind the scenes also? What I have done is set the alerting policy to "enable alert manager alerting" (as that was on by defualt) and just specified my server name. Is that needed? Should I use centralized alerting or nothing at all?

Thanks
            Dean
            • 3. RE: ePO 4 Alert Manager
              jmaxwell
              Hi Dean,

we run with ALert Manager alerying enabled - no server specified - and simply use the ePO Alert notification via email to aggregate and alert as necessary for the various products by configuring alert/event rules as required.

Jim
              • 4. Clarification
                Just to add to this, in EPO4 I have set Alert Manager options to "Disable alerting" and I still get all of my EPO based alerts. I'm guessing that for sites that only run EPO and don't maintain any legacy Alert Manager services, this should be set to disabled in EPO4.

I did this to eliminate spurious alert manager errors in the event log.