3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2017 5:32 AM by penoffd

Policy Editor Differences Between (Correlation Engine and Default Policy)

mehmetemin

Hi,

I want to ask about why is there differences between correlation engine (as a datasource on receiver which is using on Combobox devices) and default policy.

I've created new rules on Correlation Engine and i've also changed the aggregation to "off" but by the time i saw that the under the default policy (right up Policy Editor -not the left one) the aggregations' status are "on"

Thanks.

BR

Default Policy Editor

• 1. Re: Policy Editor Differences Between (Correlation Engine and Default Policy)
          penoffd

I am open to correction on this, but it's my understanding that:

1.) When you create a rule at a lower level, such as in the correlation engine, that the status and settings of that rule will propagate "upwards" to the root (default) of the policy.  In other words, when you create a correlation rule and enable it that it's enabled all the way up to the default policy.  The same goes for the settings such as aggregation.

2.) I was also told that rules/policies that exist at a lower level, such as correlation rules, should never be enabled at the default policy.  That is, they should be enabled in the correlation policy, but not at levels above it.  It was said that this causes additional processing for the rule that's not necessary at the default policy level.

Again, I was told this by a VAR at a very early stage in my exposure to the SIEM, so I could be wrong/misinformed.  If that's the case I would like to know.

• 2. Re: Policy Editor Differences Between (Correlation Engine and Default Policy)
            akerr

To follow up on penoffd's post...

When we create new correlation rules, the first thing we do after creating them, even before rolling them out, is to disable them at the default policy level, then drill down to the policy where we actually want them applied, and set them to block inheritance.   This is also where you'd turn off aggregation if that's what you want/need.  This insures that the rule is only running on the data sources or devices you've selected which will help with the overall load.

• 3. Re: Policy Editor Differences Between (Correlation Engine and Default Policy)
              penoffd

I should have elaborated, but this is what we do as well.  Thanks for pointing out the details.