Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who Me Too'd this topic

Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content

ENS fails to install (using ePO) on some Windows systems but not others

This week I've been setting up an ePO server.  The environment I'm setting it up in has no internet connection, so I don't have automatic access to the McAfee repositories.  All of the packages and extensions I've had to bring in manually.  This is everything I have installed so far:

• ePO Build: ePolicy Orchestrator 5.10.0 (Build 2428)
  • Update Installed: Update 9 (2.0.0.949)
  • McAfee Agent version: 5.7.2.162 (Windows)
  • McAfee Agent version: 5.7.2.162 (Linux)
  • Endpoint Security Platform 10.7.0.2421
  • Endpoint Security Platform Extension 10.7.0.839
  • Endpoint Security Threat Prevention  10.7.0.2522
  • Endpoint Security Threat Prevention Extension 10.7.0.1025
  • Endpoint Security Threat Prevention for Linux 10.7.5.98

I set up a few test machines to try everything out before implementing across the entire environment.  I set up a few Win10 Enterprise virtual machines (VMware), a couple of physical HP Z240 Win10 workstations, a WinSvr 2019 VM, and a couple of Centos and Ubuntu VM's.  All VMs are joined to Active Directory, but there aren't any GPO's being applied that would be problematic to McAfee installation/operation. 

This is what I've observed (every action is being done from ePO):

• The agents install just fine across all platforms, both Windows and Linux. 
  • The ENS Threat Prevention for Linux installs just fine on the Centos and Ubuntu clients.   
  • The ENS Platform installation fails to install to the Windows 10 and Svr2019 VM clients. 
  • The ENS Platform installs perfectly fine on the physical HP Z240 Win10 clients.

The HP Z240 clients are running:  Windows 10 Pro, version 20H2, OS build 19042.1110

The Windows 10 VMs are running:  Windows 10 Enterprise, version 1909, OS build 18363.1440 

The Svr2019 VM is running:  Windows Server 2019, version 1809, OS build 17763.2061

Looking at the McAfee software compatibility matrix, I don't see any conflicts between the McAfee ENS version I'm trying to install, and the Windows versions I'm running.  I'm using the default ports on ePO and Windows Defender doesn't appear to be blocking any of those ports.

When the ENS Platform installation fails, I see this error in the Server Task Log: 

Run now task Install Endpoint Security Platform (Windows only) failed.<br/>Details: Product "ENDP_GS_1070" installation failed, reason "Point Product Custom Error".<br/>Product "ENDP_GS_1070" installation failed, reason "Unknown error"..

Looking at the the McScript_Deploy_error log on the client I see this:

2021-07-22 17:29:37 E #5292 mue get build version from policy failed(install): ENDP_GS_1070\Current
2021-07-22 17:29:37 E #5292 mue build version is empty so skipping it.
2021-07-22 17:29:37 E #5292 mue got EnableCompatibilityCheck failed.

I've attached the McScript_Deploy log from a client that keeps failing.  It does show a few errors, but I'm not sure what to make of it.

Any thoughts?

Who Me Too'd this topic

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community