Cannot remove McAfee LiveSafe (ASUS packaged laptop)
Am posting this as I don't see the same issue (there are similar ones) being posted and I am unable find a solution so hope that someone might know the answer before I hear back from support.
I would like to remove McAfee so I can use my perferred AV.
Cannot uninstall McAfee Livesafe from an ASUS Win10 laptop that came pre-packaged with McAfee. Try uninstall from Add/remove programs after selecting McAfee LiveSafe and hit uninstall, McAfee UI Host window comes up with a html like page with the message "Navigation to the webpage was canceled. What you can try: Refresh the page.". There is no way to refresh the page so unable to proceed with the uninstall.
Things tried after hours of research:
1. Followed https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1034198/. DOESN'T WORK - Why? See issue description above.
2. Using MCPR tool - DOESN'T WORK - Stuck on "Removing product MFP" after left for hours. Tried few times with same result.
3. Using Revo Uninstaller - DOESN'T WORK - Revo uses the same uninstall method as Win10 by using McAfee UI Host so getting the same "Navigation to the webpage was canceled"
4. Using ESET AV Remover tool - DOESN'T WORK - ESET remove method also uses McAfee UI Host to remove and get same webpage was canceled
5. Tried booting in to Windows 10 SafeMode to remove - didn't work either.
6. Tried Windows 10 factory reset by removing all files and setting to default. Still has some removal problem.
Solved! Go to Solution.