Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user47
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

unmanaged for renamed computers in epo 4.5

I have epo 4.5 installed and noticed when i rename machines they go into the unmanaged state. Why is this? I cant get them to register with the server after renaming them. All machines are windows xp pro. It is also leaving the old machine names in epo thus duplicating them. Is there a way to remedy this?
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
6 Replies
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 7

RE: unmanaged for renamed computers in epo 4.5

Assuming the agent is not being reinstalled, then ePO should simply update its entry with the new machine name... if it's creating a new entry with the new name that would tend to imply that a new agent guid is being generated. Are you reinstalling the agent when the machines are renamed? Or rebuilding the machine from an image?

HTH -

Joe
user47
Level 7
Message 3 of 7

no...not initially.

The machines started to show up as unmanaged. I gave it a few days to update and see if they would take over the old machines in epo. They did not. I then tried to redeploy the agent to these particular machines. The agent says it installed but they are still showing up as unmanaged.

Im thourghly confused happy
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 7

Odd Smiley Happy

Are you getting a new intry in ePO for the new machine name, though?
user47
Level 7
Message 5 of 7

yes that would seem to be the case.
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 7

Okay, that would really imply that the agent guid was being regenerated. Exactly how are the machines being renamed?
user47
Level 7
Message 7 of 7

i am looking more into this. I have someone doing the renaming. Im almost sure they are going into my computer properties and changing the name there. No images or anything like that.