Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gmc_za
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 12

superdat file sizes insane

Has anyone noticed that the dat-xxxx.zip and avvdat-xxxx.zip files that EPO downloads are around 30mb each. Why have these gotten so large recently. I am having huge issues replicating these files out to SA on long speed lines. Anyone else having silimiar issues?
11 Replies

RE: superdat file sizes insane

Hi

I had a brief chat with my Platinum Support Manager and she mentioned this. From what I recall it is because of the various products that McAfee now have and the threats related to them. At least thats what I think she was getting at.

Paul

it is pretty nuts, the latest superdat broke through 60mb.
gmc_za
Level 7
Message 4 of 12

Anyone got any more info on this - its getting worse by the day.

I am now getting repository failures when ePO is trying to pull down the dats. I am not sure if it is the size of the file causing the problem but I have raised it with McAfee and will post back any findings if this is the case.
SergeM
Level 9
Message 6 of 12

What I know is that it will cause problems with some of our sites where we only have 512K lines. Even with distributed repositories, transmitting +30MB takes too long !
gmc_za
Level 7
Message 7 of 12

We still have a few 64k lines and the updates are now starting to time out.
tonyb99
Level 13
Message 8 of 12

I'm randomly getting time out on http and ftp updates from Mcafee now aswell which I have to attribute back to the large size.
I am hoping when they release VSE 8.7 they will stop support for the 8.0 in dats and the size will come back down.. but im not counting on it.
twenden
Level 13
Message 9 of 12

I don't believe that the size will come down. They have extended support for VSE 8.0i until Dec 31st 2009 instead of 2008.
tonyb99
Level 13
Message 10 of 12

Sometimes I get requests for an up to date offline install disk and everytime I realise I now need to download a 50-60MB xxxxdat.exe from Mcafee at their wonderfull 25KB an hour speeds my heart sinks.

I remember in the old days a superdat file used to be less than 6MB.. and the Mcafee website download speeds were the same then. Time they invested in some new capacity.