cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

running a VSE 8.8 scan using the Client task run now keeps failing

Tried running a VSE 8.8 On-demand scan using the run client task now in ePO and it keeps failing.

In the Server Task Log it says

Started: Sent Run Now task "_Daily On-Demand Scans

Run now task _Daily On-Demand Scans received.

Run now task _Daily On-Demand Scans started.

Run now task _Daily On-Demand Scans failed.

Adjusted some of the settings, but still getting the same results.

5 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Re: running a VSE 8.8 scan using the Client task run now keeps failing

To be honest, running an on demand scan using run client task now is a very bad idea.  A run client task now keeps that datachannel connection open through the completion or failure of the task, which in some cases, could be hours.  Not a good idea at all.  Please use a scheduled task for those task types.  RCTN tasks are meant for one-off situations to quickly remediate something, but not meant to be run as a mass deployment or server task to kick it off for a lot of systems.  You are only asking for problems in that case.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Thank you for the response and I understand the concern, but the ODS was run on only 2 servers which our Splunk admin reported identifying a trojan on one of the servers.

We wanted to run a quick scan to verify and remediate the issue.

Is there another way of running a quick scan?

Highlighted
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

It is ok to run a scan in that type situation, but you can also schedule a task to run immediately for a single system, then send a wakeup call.  Either one works.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Did you find the solution? I am facing the same issue

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

As stated before, it is not a good idea to use RCTN for on demand scans. That being said, you would check the masvc, macompatsvc and macmnsvc logs on the client for any errors.  There also may be an issue with the point product itself that it is not able to receive the task or run it.  So you would look at the logs on the clients in question.

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator