Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 9

"Update Security" is grayed out after reboot with agent 4.6.0.2935

Jump to solution

Have just started testing the ePO agent 4.6.0.2935 on a test ePO server (non-production).

This ePO server is running ePO 4.6 Patch 4 (build 202). The two test workstations have both McAfee VirusScan 8.8i with Patch 2 and ePO agent 4.6.0.2935.

One system is running Windows 8 Enterprise Trial and the other Windows 7 Pro.

One both systems, I noticed after a reboot that the "Update Security" option on the McAfee icon are grayed out.

It will gray out if I send a agent wake-up call or if I manually select "enforce policies" on each system.

This never happen on the Windows 7 system with the 4.5.0.1810 agent, although it was running VSE 8.8i Patch 1 at the time.

The epo agent policy does have the checkbox selected to allow users to update there own security.

Is this something that other people are seeing?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 9

Re: "Update Security" is grayed out after reboot with agent 4.6.0.2935

Jump to solution

OK, thanks    In your first post you said "It will gray out if I send a agent wake-up call or if I manually select "enforce policies" on each system"  so I thought it was happening the other way round

In that case, this is something that we are aware of - a couple of other people have reported it as well. Please open a case with support, and explain that the case needs to be escalated as a child of BZ797586.

Thanks -

Joe

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 9

Jump to solution

Forgive the possibly stupid question, but do you have the "allow end users to update security..." option enabled in the agent policy assigned to these machines?

HTH -

Joe

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Jump to solution

Yes, it is enabled as shown below. I have just made the Windows 7 box go back to using McAfee VSE 8.8i patch 1 and ePO agent 4.5.0.1810. Did a reboot, and noticed that it no longer grays out the "Update Security" after reboot. With the newer agent 4.6.0.2935, the update security will ungray itself if you force a manual policy update, or wait 30 minutes for the policy update to occur or perform an agent wake-up call. This is a minor inconvienence but wanted to find out if this is something other people are seeing. 

Capture.JPG

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 9

Jump to solution

Ah, okay - so when the policy is enforced, the "update security" option becomes available, is that right? Like this:

1) Reboot machine

2) Update Security is greyed out

3) Policy enforced (localyl, or wakeup call, etc)

4) Update Security is no longer greyed out and is available

Thanks -

Joe

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Jump to solution

Yes, that is what happens. With the older agent on Windows 7, the "Update Security" is not grayed out after the reboot. It only occurs with the newer 4.6 agent, where it remains grayed out until the next policy enforcement.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 9

Jump to solution

OK, thanks    In your first post you said "It will gray out if I send a agent wake-up call or if I manually select "enforce policies" on each system"  so I thought it was happening the other way round

In that case, this is something that we are aware of - a couple of other people have reported it as well. Please open a case with support, and explain that the case needs to be escalated as a child of BZ797586.

Thanks -

Joe

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Jump to solution

Joe,  Thanks for the update. I just got off the phone with McAfee gold support and they are going to escalate.

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Jump to solution

FYI,  McAfee tech support needed me to send the MER reports for both the ePO server and failing client. This was done and I know have an email, from Tier 3, saying that they believe they have found the root cause. They will be contact with me with proof of concept fix to test.

Highlighted
Level 13
Message 9 of 9

Jump to solution

Just noticed this in my environment as well! Will enter a case if i get time.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community