how to prevent users to disable mcafee via EPO. please guid me by details,

EPO 4.5 and Mcafee 8.7

10 Replies
bakerrl
Level 11
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 11

Re: prevent users to disable mcafee via EPO

Local Users do not have rights to disable McAfee on the desktop.

In ePO bring up the Access Control Policy in VirusScan Enterprise.  Make sure "Prevent McAfee Services from Being stopped is checked.Services.jpg

1- Thank you for reply is this option will block the user to disable the mcafee?

2-How can i reach this screen in EPO? is it the same attached one?it's by deafault like that.,,,

3-should i do somthing for the policy to enable it (like sharing it)?mcafee.JPG

If you perform this action, and need to do troubleshooting by having to disable McAfee, can this be done without having to go to the console and unlock for everyone? 

bakerrl
Level 11
Message 5 of 11

Yes that is the screen and you should apply that policy to your workstations.

As long as you are logged on as an administrator to the local machine you can disable it for troubleshooting.

Thank you Bakerri!! 

this option by default there on the EPO,and the user can remove the check box and stop the mcafee and i don't want that

I want to block them from disabling the Mcafee. any other idea?

bakerrl
Level 11
Message 8 of 11

If a user is logged on to a workstation (unless they are an administrator) they do not have rights to disable McAfee when that box is checked.  If all your users are administrators then you have a problem.

You should have a workstation policy in place that applies to your machines.  I suggest your read the ePO v4.5 Product Guide on how to implement policies.

If you are trying to to keep someone from logging on to the ePO Server and changing that setting then do not give them an account to logon to that server.  Only ePO Administrators should be logging on to your ePO Server.  Not regular users.

jguenrdc
Level 12
Message 9 of 11

In ePO, look for the VSE 8.7 policy called "UI options" or something like that (It has changed in 8.8, and I don't have 8.7 installed any more and I can't remember the exact policy name).  One of the tabs should have an option for setting a password for the user interface.  Then, the user would need the password in order to make changes to the "Prevent  McAfee Services from being stopped" setting (or other settings) on their local system.  They will be able to look at the window, but all controls will be disabled.

In the ePO console go to Policy Catelog,  Product choose Virus scan enterprise 8.7 and for Category choose access protection properties then edit settings on the policy that you use.  Hope this helps!