Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sco_at
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 3

mcafee.client() and proxy

Jump to solution

I try to create a session from my workstation to my ePO-Server (both systems are on the same side of the company firewall) using mcafee.client ("ePO-fqdn", "port", "user", "password").    This statement works fine if i execute it locally on the ePO-Server. But if i try this from my workstation i get an error ("502 unauthorized") from the company proxy. Either Python or the mcafee.client-command tries to connect using the proxy - although of course the use of the proxy is excluded for local traffic. How can i modify the way my script connects?

Thanks,

Bernhard

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sco_at
Level 9
Message 3 of 3

Re: mcafee.client() and proxy

Jump to solution

And i found a workaround. I modified mcafee.py, class _CommandInvoker, ___Init___:

authhandler = urllib2.HTTPBasicAuthHandler(passmgr)

proxy_handler = urllib2.ProxyHandler({})

self.opener = urllib2.build_opener(authhandler, urllib2.HTTPCookieProcessor(), proxy_handler)

This generates an empty ProxyHandler. But of course a supported solution would be preferred - companies usually have firewalls and proxies, so this could be an issue.

2 Replies
Highlighted
sco_at
Level 9
Message 2 of 3

Jump to solution

Ok, i did some testing & research. The default urllib2.ProxyHandler of Python cannot handle proxy exceptions and therefore forwards all traffic to the proxy server.  If i set up an empty ProxyHandler it works for a call to urlopen(local_address), but still fails for mcafee.client. So mcafee.client uses the default proxyhandler of urllib2, which cannot handle local destinations. Is there a way to "override" the ProxyHandler in the mcafee-module?

sco_at
Level 9
Message 3 of 3

Jump to solution

And i found a workaround. I modified mcafee.py, class _CommandInvoker, ___Init___:

authhandler = urllib2.HTTPBasicAuthHandler(passmgr)

proxy_handler = urllib2.ProxyHandler({})

self.opener = urllib2.build_opener(authhandler, urllib2.HTTPCookieProcessor(), proxy_handler)

This generates an empty ProxyHandler. But of course a supported solution would be preferred - companies usually have firewalls and proxies, so this could be an issue.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community