Did you mean: 
noway
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 11

how to disable mcafee agent 4.5 status monitor

Gentlemen,

I need your help..

I’m running McAfee ePo v4.0 on windows 2003 and i have deployed McAfee antivirus v8.7i with McAfee agent v4.0. All platforms in our company are windows XP SP3. Everything was running fine without any problem until we upgraded McAfee agent v4 to v4.5.

in the beginning there was an error appear to all widows XP users (Mtray.exe error) then I have install a hotfix (VSE870HF517265) from McAfee to fix the error and the problem now has been fixed, however, the McAfee agent & antivirus disappear because it is in our policy to hide McAfee agent for all windows clients and only keep the antivirus icon.

Now I have enable in ePo to show McAfee agent for windows client but it show a new icon for McAfee that join the two software together McAfee Antivirus & McAfee Agent and users now can see the Status Monitor for the McAfee Agent which I would like to disable.

Can you help me disable it or I have to go back to agent v4.

10 Replies
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 11

Re: how to disable mcafee agent 4.5 status monitor

Hi...

I'm afraid that it's not possible to do this

MA4.5 is designed to provide a single tray icon, so if you set the policy to hide the icon, then no icon at all will be displayed.

I would recommend creating an FMR to request either the ability to hide the agent monitor, or to show only the VSE icon.

Sorry

Regards -

Joe

you can still hide the agent icon in ePO 4.5.

see the attachment.

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 11

Yes, but if this option is selected in MA4.5, nothing is shown in the system tray. I believe what the original poster wants is for the VSE icon to be displayed, as it was if the "hide tray icon" option was selected in MA 4.

Regards -

Joe

noway
Level 7
Message 5 of 11

Yes, what I need is to show the antivirus icon without showing the McAfee agent v4.5 icon or I can show the new icon but with disabling the agent status monitor..

any help...

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 11

As I said, unfortunately this is not possible in MA4.5 - sorry.

Regards -

Joe

noway
Level 7
Message 7 of 11

is there any risk in showing mcafee agent 4.5 status monitor to normal users..

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 11

Only you can answer that, I'm afraid

I can't think of one personally, but I don't know what you consider a risk in your environment.

Regards -

Joe

Arjen
Level 9
Message 9 of 11

The only "risk" would be that they force communication between client and server.

They cannot change anything to the config of VSE/ or the agent.

noway
Level 7
Message 10 of 11

This is what I was talking about, can you please explain to be the risk in force communication between client and server? And can I configure the epo to schedule the force connection even is the users force it?