Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WillM
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

how many client PCs can be managed with default database

Hi -
About how many client PCs can be managed with the default database, SQL Server 2005 Express, installed with ePO 4? Thanks.
Will
7 Replies

RE: how many client PCs can be managed with default database

It all depends on how big your database gets. With SQL Express I believe the largest db you can have is 4GB.

I have over 600 clients right now and my db size is 4.1GB, so I'd be at my theoretical limit with express. I do not purge logs often. I have it set to do it once a year and my server has been online for about 3 months.

If you purge your logs often enough I would think you could run several thousand clients off one instance of SQL express. Though you may only have a few days worth of logs happy
Pitch
Level 7
Message 3 of 8

Differences between the SQL 2005 versions

I have more than 1000 systems and tony said to me that 4Gb were enough.
tonyb99
Level 13
Message 4 of 8

I have one EPO 4.0 db of about 2GB running 3000 clients, I dont keep more than 3 months basic data and I purge my logs weekly.

I filter my traffic which is the major thing and only report on actually usefull functions.
Filtering rubbish like cookies and encrypted files and time outs will go a long way to reducing your db requirements. ( when you filter at the epo server configuration settings the p;olicies trickle to the agents and when they connect they start to only pass on what you want them to)

I also have a DB maintenance program

Of course I also have a 3.6.1 db running on a cluster at 16GB as it has lots of legacy data and I cant get the squirrel admin to chop the last 4 years data off and reindex/compact as hes too busy (and I'd get sacked if i do it myself)
Pitch
Level 7
Message 5 of 8

How do you do that? Server tasks? Which are they ?
tonyb99
Level 13
Message 6 of 8

yes i have a server task i made in automation section, runs on a sunday morning
Pitch
Level 7
Message 7 of 8

You have one task to purge the logs (what is it nearly french?) and one to purge the systems and/or the conformity if I understand ?
tonyb99
Level 13
Message 8 of 8

I dont purge systems automatically on that one as I have no control over the clients I just manually do it once in a while so I just have one task to clear all the logs down, most to 30 days some to 90 where our wsecurity team require that info to be held easlity access

log - tronçonner, rondin