cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

hosts are showing up with incorrect names in EPO Database

we have about 15 or so systems that are registered properly in EPO, but for some reason their DNS names are showing up incorrectly. either completely incorrect, or they are showing up with the incorrect DNS domain. I have checked my DNS servers and these names that are showing up do not exist anywhere. Is there a way that I can change these DNS names that show up in the EPO Database? We have a report that feeds into another report for our inventory and when the names don't match, it throws everything off Any assistance would be greatly appreciated thanks app
11 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 12

Re: hosts are showing up with incorrect names in EPO Database

Are they Windows or non-windows systems?  Do they connect via vpn?  

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

they are all Windows hosts and they are not on a VPN.  they are VMs that are always attached to the same network

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 12

Are you using MOVE on them or cloud workload security to sync the vm's?  Do the vm's move between hosts?  Are they persistent or non-persistent vm's?

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

These are standard VMware Virtual Machines.  they may flow between machines as a part of DRS, but it isn't all machines, and i know that some of the machines in question have not changed hosts in many months.  These are all using VSE, not MOVE

app

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 12

Are they persistent or non-persistent, meaning do they get reimaged on shutdown or are not reimaged (persistent)?  What is different about the name?  What is the host platform - VMware or a unix-based host?

Was my reply helpful?

sorry, missed that part of the question.  they are all persistent.  they have been around for years some of them.  so an example of what is going on

Name:

emsvbsy01pwdu.domain.org
emsvbsy02pwdu.domain.org

DNS Name

emsvbsy01pwdu.odddomain.org
emsvbsy02pwdu.odddomain.org

It is really odd. 

any thoughts?  Can I edit the database directly or will that break things

app

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 12

No, you cannot edit the db directly.  System names are entered based on what the agent reports.  So, I would suggest opening a ticket with McAfee and run a mer on a couple of those systems with odd domain name while it is reporting that.  

mer.mcafee.com

When you run the mer, be sure to right-click and run as administrator and choose the specific products installed, such as mcafee agent and vse.  When you get that uploaded to case, send me the ticket number - I will take a look at what the agent is sending.

Was my reply helpful?

OK, i will go ahead and open a ticket with McAfee and run a MER on a few of the systems.  Once i have the ticket i will reply back to here with it

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 12

thanks

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community