cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

failed to upgrade epo 4.0 patch 5 " The wizard was interrupted before Mcafee ePolicy Orchestrator could be completely installed"

Hi..

i have problem regarding patch 5 upgrade. Currently im running epo 4.0 patch 4. I try to upgrade 3 times and

got same error message "The wizard was interrupted before Mcafee ePolicy   Orchestrator could be completely installed" .

I already ask Mcafee support to remote support but still didnt solve the problem. Here is partial log from the EPO400-Patch-MSI.LOG

1: Start Prod_InitProperties
1: FAILURE: In GetProfString accessing file [C:\DOCUME~1\mcavcmn\LOCALS~1\Temp\{5A62B93B-A694-439D-A276-9D52F5B26BF4}\TempData.Ini] in section [PropertyData] for key [Prop1] with return code [-1].
InstallShield 16:30:28: Setup aborted
InstallShield 16:30:28: CallScriptFunctionFromMsiCA() ends
MSI (s) (DC:C8) [16:30:29:023]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Deleting RESUME property. Its current value is '1'.
MSI (s) (DC:C8) [16:30:29:023]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Deleting Resume property. Its current value is '1'.
MSI (s) (DC:C8) [16:30:29:023]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Deleting UpdateStarted property. Its current value is '1'.
Action ended 16:30:29: Prod_InitProperties. Return value 2.
Action ended 16:30:29: INSTALL. Return value 2.

MSI (s) (DC:C8) [16:30:29:336]: Note: 1: 1729
MSI (s) (DC:C8) [16:30:29:336]: Product: McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator -- Configuration failed.

MSI (s) (DC:C8) [16:30:29:351]: Cleaning up uninstalled install packages, if any exist
MSI (s) (DC:C8) [16:30:29:351]: MainEngineThread is returning 1602
MSI (s) (DC:30) [16:30:29:351]: Destroying RemoteAPI object.
MSI (s) (DC:54) [16:30:29:351]: Custom Action Manager thread ending.
=== Logging stopped: 11/6/2009  16:30:29 ===
MSI (c) (B8:04) [16:30:29:367]: Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied.  Counter after decrement: -1
MSI (c) (B8:04) [16:30:29:367]: MainEngineThread is returning 1602
=== Verbose logging stopped: 11/6/2009  16:30:29 ===

I already try a solution like set the auto close option in epo_database to false, restart the machine and run the installation again. However the outcome still the same

Here i attach together the error message screen shot and  EPO400-Patch-MSI.LOG

Really need help here.Thanks

8 Replies

Re: failed to upgrade epo 4.0 patch 5 " The wizard was interrupted before Mcafee ePolicy Orchestrator could be completely installed"

Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but once the installer gets interrupted it is almost impossible to get the MSI installer to restart the setup completely. So in support we have been backing up the <install_path>\ePolicy Orchestrator\4.0\DB folder and the database, then removing ePO, re-installing 4.0, installing the last patch they were on (not the one they were trying to install) and then restoring the DB backup and files. This will get your server back up and running.

We would then attempt the patch 5 installer again once we have verfied the following:

/ Things to help you in the furture eith patch 5 and patch 6 installs are as follows:

1. Disable Auto-close on the ePO Database

2. Use simple characters (alpha and/or numeric) your passwords for SQL and the epo account specified during install.

3. Make sure you are logged on to the ePO Server in Console 0 (not terminal session 1, 2, 3, etc), you can do the install remote, just force the Admin or console switch with MSTSC.EXE.

4. Ensure that you have plently of Room availible in the ePO Database and Transaction log of the epos SQL server. As if the SQL DB/Log gets full durring the setup, a roll bak in SQL will occur and this can cause the setup to exit out.

Hope this helps.

Re: failed to upgrade epo 4.0 patch 5 " The wizard was interrupted before Mcafee ePolicy Orchestrator could be completely installed"

I will try this out,,thanks for the answer

Turift
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 9

I'm having the same problem. And I've done the recovery and tried again with the same result. :/

Is it so? Im not trying the solution yet, kinda hesitate to do so since you said

the outcome still the same. Did you manage any other module on the epo?

Currently my epo manage VSE and Policy Auditor..

The issues installing a patch on ePO 4.0 are usually due to a java problem, have a look at this:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB60569

In the last 3 cases the cause was due to a Microsoft's patch (you can find all the info in this link)

If you see my error log that i attach, there is no java error appear. FYI,

i already run through the installation with Mcafee Tier 1 support. They

also ask me to reinstall the ePO.

Turift
Level 7
Message 8 of 9

I don't have any issues with ePO 4.0, it worked as expected. It's the upgrade process to ePO 4.5 from ePO 4.0 Patch 5 that's the problem. But I'll have a look at it see if it helps.

Another problem is that all of my automation tasks are gone. I've logged a case and the only solution was to roll back the SQL db from backup apparently according to McAfee support

So I'll go ahead with that, see if it helps. So be sure to do a snapshot or similar on both the db and ePO files, as one always should, if upgrading.

Thanks for the suggestions.

BR

Turift
Level 7
Message 9 of 9

epo db restore got my automation tasks back again. Seem to be back at square one again. That's always something.