cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ePolicy Orchestrator 5.10.0 Update 2 Fails to Connect to SQL Server

Jump to solution

While attempting to apply ePolicy Orchestrator 5.10.0 Update 2, the process is stopped at the point of connecting the the ePO database on SQL Server 2012. "Failed to connect to database" is the result.

ePO-Update-Fail.png

The credentials and port have been checked and tested and verified as correct.

At the SQL Server, I see a pair of events for each of these attempts. They are...

Date: 12/11/2018 5:02:13 PM
Log: SQL Server (Current - 12/11/2018 4:54:00 PM)
Source: Logon

Date: 12/11/2018 5:02:13 PM
Log: SQL Server (Current - 12/11/2018 4:54:00 PM)
Source: Logon
Message: The prelogin packet used to open the connection is structurally invalid; the connection has been closed. Please contact the vendor of the client library. [CLIENT: 192.168.xx.xx]

"prelogin packet used to open the connection is structurally invalid" Is there some fix for this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: ePolicy Orchestrator 5.10.0 Update 2 Fails to Connect to SQL Server

Jump to solution

Thank you for the suggestion regarding KB81737.  ePO was connecting to the SQL Server database okay.  It was only the ePO Updater that would not.  So the situation covered in KB81737 is somewhat similar but not the same.  

I have, since I posted this, handled the matter and have applied Update 2 for ePO 5.10 okay.  The way that I fixed things so that the ePO Updater would run successfully was as follows:  

The SQL Server that hosts the ePO databases is set to Force Encryption in its SQL Server network protocol properties.  I changed this setting from Yes to No, restarted the SQL Server service, then ran the ePO Updater Tool successfully.  When all ePO update procedures were complete, back at the SQL Server, I changed the Force Encryption setting in SQL Server network protocol properties from No back to Yes.  

ePO 5.10.0 Update 2 is running okay with the same, enforced, encrypted SQL Server connections that it was using before the update.  

Apparently, it is just the ePO Updater tool that has a problem with SQL Server enforced encryption.

- Charlie

5 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

In core/config for epo, what is the ssl setting set to - require or try ssl?  Go through the checks in KB81737.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

Thank you for the suggestion regarding KB81737.  ePO was connecting to the SQL Server database okay.  It was only the ePO Updater that would not.  So the situation covered in KB81737 is somewhat similar but not the same.  

I have, since I posted this, handled the matter and have applied Update 2 for ePO 5.10 okay.  The way that I fixed things so that the ePO Updater would run successfully was as follows:  

The SQL Server that hosts the ePO databases is set to Force Encryption in its SQL Server network protocol properties.  I changed this setting from Yes to No, restarted the SQL Server service, then ran the ePO Updater Tool successfully.  When all ePO update procedures were complete, back at the SQL Server, I changed the Force Encryption setting in SQL Server network protocol properties from No back to Yes.  

ePO 5.10.0 Update 2 is running okay with the same, enforced, encrypted SQL Server connections that it was using before the update.  

Apparently, it is just the ePO Updater tool that has a problem with SQL Server enforced encryption.

- Charlie

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

I gave the KB because it referenced force encryption setting also for something to check.  Glad you got it working!

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Highlighted

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem but do not have the luxury of changing the SQL server to not force encryption due to security requirements Smiley Frustrated

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

You might need to follow KB84628

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community