cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[ePo 5.0] Threat events apparently gets send to server but no trace of them on Threat Event Log

Jump to solution

Hi, this is my setup (clean install of ePo server (not an upgrade, this is a new installation altogether)

ePO Build: ePolicy Orchestrator 5.0.0 (Build: 1160)

McAfee Agent 4.8.0.641

McAfee Viruscan Entreprise 8.8.0(1128)

I installed ePo 5.0 on a Windows 2012 server and installed the Agent on a couple of workstations to get things going. I wanted to see how reporting works so I triggered a threat event on my workstation with Eicar. I got the alert on screen and I went to the server only to see that it didn't show on it. So I read a bit about the process of a threat detection event locally all trough the way to the server.

I can see events building in the C:\ProgramData\McAfee\Common Framework\AgentEvents directory. If I manually send them trough the Agent Monitor, they apparently get processed and deleted from the directory. However, when I go to he ePo server's Threat Event Log, I don't see anything there.

Am I missing something? Do I need a special extension to process the threat events?

[edit] I will add that I checked the 'Event Filtering' option under 'Server Configuration' on the ePo server and everything seemed checked and ok.

Message was edited by: kkspike on 11/04/13 10:39:08 CDT AM
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: [ePo 5.0] Threat events apparently gets send to server but no trace of them on Threat Event Log

Jump to solution

Thanks for your quick reply, guys, here is the evenparser.log file. I notice I see a couple of these lines

Skipping <VirusDetectionEvent>, no plugin available.

So I assume there is something I'm mssing. I remember trying to add VIRUSCANREPORTS120(183).zip as an extension but it told me that it wasn't compatible with ePo 5.0. I assumed that it was only needed in ePo 4.x. Could that be it?

[edit] There you go! I imported the latest versions of VIRUSCAN8800(348).zip and VIRUSCANREPORTS120(228).zip and everything started working. Thanks for the tip!

Message was edited by: kkspike on 11/04/13 12:31:48 CDT PM
4 Replies
alexn
Level 14
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

Re: [ePo 5.0] Threat events apparently gets send to server but no trace of them on Threat Event Log

Jump to solution

Hi

On epo could you check here for events , from client Events folder events are placed here first by apache.

C:\Default directory\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\DB\Events

thnks

Highlighted
McAfee Employee JoeBidgood
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution

Check the eventparser log on the ePO server - attach it here if you'd like us to have a look. I'd guess that the events are getting as far as ePO but not making it into the database - this is usually a problem with the event parser and / or the reporting extensions for the various products.

Thanks -

Joe

Jump to solution

Thanks for your quick reply, guys, here is the evenparser.log file. I notice I see a couple of these lines

Skipping <VirusDetectionEvent>, no plugin available.

So I assume there is something I'm mssing. I remember trying to add VIRUSCANREPORTS120(183).zip as an extension but it told me that it wasn't compatible with ePo 5.0. I assumed that it was only needed in ePo 4.x. Could that be it?

[edit] There you go! I imported the latest versions of VIRUSCAN8800(348).zip and VIRUSCANREPORTS120(228).zip and everything started working. Thanks for the tip!

Message was edited by: kkspike on 11/04/13 12:31:48 CDT PM
McAfee Employee JoeBidgood
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

No problem, glad it's OK now

Joe

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community