cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ePo 4.6 - Correct order for changing IP address and hostname of ePo Server 4.6?

Hello all.....This if my first time on the McAfee community so i'm hoping someone can help me with this

With only a days training from McAfee I have setup from scratch an ePO 4.6 Server (Database on the same box) and SuperAgent, I have all the relavant policies setup and 20 test clients updating correctly via the Agent 4.6 that is installed on the clients, so far so good.

I have just been informed that we are going to have to rename the ePO server and change its IP Address due to a Data Centre change.

I have looked into this somewhat and believe that Agents should initially look to the IP Address of the ePO for updates, failing that they look to the hostname of the ePO.

So my questions are:

• What's best to change first - the IP address or the Hostname of the ePO?

• Should the above be changed at separate intervals?

• What changes will need to be made to the SuperAgent in light of the above?

Many thanks in advance

Message was edited by: reddevilrobster on 04/05/12 06:26:20 CDT

Message was edited by: reddevilrobster on 04/05/12 06:27:45 CDT
13 Replies
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 14

Re: ePo 4.6 - Correct order for changing IP address and hostname of ePo Server 4.6?

It doesn't really matter which order you change things in, as long as you don't change them both at once. Personally I would change the IP address first, make sure that DNS is correctly updated, wait for however long it takes for all the clients to pick up the new sitelist - you can query the last communication time to check this - and then change the name afterwards.

HTH -

Joe

Re: ePo 4.6 - Correct order for changing IP address and hostname of ePo Server 4.6?

Thanks for reply Joe

Will this have any impact on the SQL data on the ePO Server though?

I would hate to mess everything up

Thanks

Rob

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 14

No, not at all

HTH -

Joe

Hi Joe,

We have now renamed our ePO Server but retained the IP Address, but we have a problem.....

I'm now unable to get to the Login Page as it keeps throwing up a Certificate error, it seems that the certificate has been allocated to the previous name!

Is there any easy way to rectify this please?

:-(

Many thanks

Rob

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 14

I would expect to see this, since (as you mention) the certificate used by your browser to display the console refers to the previous name - but it shouldn't prevent you from getting to the login page: you should be able to use the "continue to this website" option (assuming you're using IE) and get to the login page as normal. From there you can go to the server settings and create a new server certificate.)  Is this not what's happening?

Thanks -

Joe

Hi Joe

I couldn't get to the login page strangely, using the network diagnostics inbuilt in to Server 2008 it mentioned that the port was not responding....

I've managed to rename the Server back to its original name so everything is back, but i'll still need to revert to the new name at some point - is there something i can do in advance with the certificates to allow access without any errors once it restarts with the new name?

Thanks for your help

ulyses31
Level 16
Message 8 of 14

Hi reddevilrobster, this (as JoeBidgood told) is caused by the ssl certificate that does not match your ePO server's new name.

What you can do is create a new certificate with new ePO's name:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB66620

Hi Ulyses31 - thanks for your time....

Will this create an additional Certificate along side the original or replace the original, until i'm sure everything is fine with the new one?

(apologies for my hesitance its just I don't want to mess things up lol)

Thanks

Rob

ulyses31
Level 16
Message 10 of 14

Hi reddevilrobster this will replace your old certs but if you follow all steps described in the KB you'll be able to make a backup of your current ssl certs