cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boyd
Level 7

ePO web-API limitation with listing large numbers of endpoints

I've been working on some specific automation tasks with ePO web-API and have discovered that there seems to be a limitation or bottleneck that slows it down when asking for a list of thousands of endpoints.

Scenario:

I can succesfully get a list of endpoints via command-line with curl.exe, or sending the same web-API command via a browser, but only if the number of endpoints in that group is approximately 500 or less.

Command syntax: curl -k -u usernameSmiley Tongueassword "https://server.domain.local:8443/remote/epogroup.findSystems?groupId=3&searchSubgroups=true"

When querying other groups that contain well over 500 endpoints (many thousands) it chokes and doesn't return anything. I've let it sit for over half an hour on a few occasions, but never got a response back from the server, so just hit ctrl-C and used the normal web interface to export a list of endpoints like normal human beings do. Sadly this means I am now unable to automate the export of endpoint names that I can then work on programmatically.

I have an SR open about it and support have confirmed that the behaviour is consistent and happens for them too, however they left it going for 2 or 3 hours and it eventually returns results, but unfortunately with the quite lengthy delay. I've asked whether this is something that can be configured within ePO web-API, and will see what they say about that.

My question is: has anyone been able to get around this apparent limitation with ePO web-API not returning large numbers of endpoints via command-line?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DocB
Level 11

Re: ePO web-API limitation with listing large numbers of endpoints

boyd,

What version of SQL?  If MS, the SQL server sometimes has limitations on how much it will provide at one time.  AD queries can cause this problem as well.

HTH,

DocB

0 Kudos
boyd
Level 7

Hello,

I don't believe there is a limitation with the SQL configuration - will check up on this though. It works fine when viewing many thousands of endpoints in the system tree, however doesn't respond the same way when using ePO web-API, which to me feels like a config issue with web-API (eg some sort of throttling), or some sort of bug with web-API. Still waiting on a response from support about this.

0 Kudos
boyd
Level 7

Solution: this was a syntax issue. Got the answer from Intel Security support. Here is the correct syntax to use when querying large amounts of endpoints in a system tree. Note: this is purely using webAPI, not relying on someone's powershell module such as "ePowershell" or similar.

Incorrect syntax I was trying: curl -k -u usernameSmiley Tongueassword "https://eposerver:8443/remote/epogroup.findSystems?groupid=1&searchSubgroups=true"

Correct syntax provided by Intel Security support: curl -k -u usernameSmiley Tongueassword "https://eposerver:8443/remote/epogroup.findSystems?groupid=1&searchSubgroups=true&Smiley Surprisedutput=terse"

The extra bit on the end "&Smiley Surprisedutput=terse" was what made the difference, and allowed the query to complete in a minute or 3, rather than 3 or more HOURS.

0 Kudos