cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ePO upgrade 4.5 to 4.6

Jump to solution

Yes. upgrading from 4.5 to 4.6 should've been done long time ago, but better now then never!

The idea is to use a seperate server, which will host the 4.6.6 ePO. Doing the upgrade on the current ones and all of the reorganization work, will be just too messy. I am planning on reorganizing all of the system tree and the policies before the migration. Lets just stick with AV 8.8 for now as a managed product. All agents are upgraded to 4.6 already.

I was wondering if there is a way to point (over 6000k) agents to the new ePO server, instead of having to reinstall new agents over the current ones? We do not have AD, instead use rouge sensors. So to install the new agents, we would have to detect new rogues and install agents. Not even considering politics of having to ask administrators to install the agents again. Maybe have an agent handler installed on current ePO server point the connected agents to new ePO server?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: ePO upgrade 4.5 to 4.6

Jump to solution

YOu can register the 4.6 server in to the 4.5 server and tranfer the agents.

For instructions, please see the ePO Best Practices Guide (https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/23000/PD23051/en_US/...) Page 39

5 Replies

Jump to solution

YOu can register the 4.6 server in to the 4.5 server and tranfer the agents.

For instructions, please see the ePO Best Practices Guide (https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/23000/PD23051/en_US/...) Page 39

Jump to solution

That is what I was looking for. But I do have couple of additional questions: if the versions of ePO servers are different, will that create a problem? If the agent was talking to 4.5 and now talking to 4.6?

And this could work, but if I want to transfer everything, I cannot transfer group by group. That is why I was asking about agent handlers.

Additionally what will happen if I change the system tree, and the agents get transfered? Do they get forwarded to lost and found then, if they do not get auto sorted?

Jump to solution

That is what I was looking for. But I do have couple of additional questions: if the versions of ePO servers are different, will that create a problem?

- No It will not

If the agent was talking to 4.5 and now talking to 4.6?

-That is no problem, a 4.5 agent can talk to an epo4.6 server.

And this could work, but if I want to transfer everything, I cannot transfer group by group. That is why I was asking about agent handlers.

- Sorry, I do not understand, what is the problem? You can transfer 1 system, a group or all. That is no problem with this setup. But if you use agent handlers, you cannot "transfer" those,but need to be reinstalled.

Additionally what will happen if I change the system tree, and the agents get transfered? Do they get forwarded to lost and found then, if they do not get auto sorted?

-If the agent gets tranfered and it fails, it will go back to the "old' epo server. If that source group doesn't exist anymore, it will go to the lost and found group

Jump to solution

Ahhhh makes sence after reading the transfer option, which makes this much easier. Duuuurrrr

Jump to solution

Yeah, the tranfer option is great