Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcl43
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 13

ePO update installer fails to run

I work for a state dept. and we get our ePO updates pushed. However, every time ePO needs updating the .msi file cannot run without having admin rights. So when ever a user logs in the installer tries to run, cant, and errors out. The installer tries to run out of the Common Framework directory, and the permissions on that are set to Everyone with read only access. The issue can be resolved temporarily by changing the permissions to either have read/execute or Authenticated Users with modify rights (our standard). However, once the installer runs the permissions get changed back to Everyone with read only. The ePO administrator seems to think that it has something to do with the way our image is setup, but after reviewing the kb article here:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB59954&actp=search&searchid=1241455709697

it seems that it is an issue with the way the embedded credentials are setup. Is there any way to resolve this permanently? I appreciate all advice.

Thanks.
12 Replies

RE: ePO update installer fails to run

Are you talking about the Daily DAT updates ? :confused:

Jim
Pitch
Level 7
Message 3 of 13

I don't even understand the pb grin I'm useless grin
jcl43
Level 7
Message 4 of 13

No, not dat updates. I am talking about updates to ePO itself. For instance they pushed an update from v3.6 to 4.0 then from 4.0 to 4.0.0.1345 and the latest from 4.0.0.1345 to 4.0.0.1412

Each time it pushes an installer called mfeagent.msi to the common framework directory and tries to run from there, but cant. So every time there is an update the whole organization gets an error message saying MFEagent.msi cannot run, until I go run it manually. And each time I run it manually it changes the permissions on the Common Framework directory back to Everyone with Read Only.....

Does that make more sense?
jcl43
Level 7
Message 5 of 13

It is the same exact problem seen here, but there is no permanent fix listed

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Virus_and_Spyware/Anti-Virus/Enterprise_Anti-Virus/Q_23881314.html

If you use firefox and scroll all the way to the bottom, you can see the answers.

EDIT:

I checked the permissions on our McAfee repository and all looks fine....
jcl43
Level 7
Message 6 of 13

Also, thought I would mention it runs fine when logged into an admin account
jcl43
Level 7
Message 7 of 13

FYI, we still have this issue if any one can help it would be greatly appreciated.

I found if I image a machine from the ground up and leave default windows permissions the error does not occur. We use the following permissions on our standard image

Admin - Full
Authenticated Users - Modify
System - Full

I dont understand how this could be causing these errors.
Highlighted
Schoeys
Level 7
Message 8 of 13

Have you tried a manual push from the ePO console and using the domain admin credentials? Or try creating a new framepkg.exe, the update services should be running with a local system account with admin rights.

hope this helps
jcl43
Level 7
Message 9 of 13

Thanks for the post Schoeys. Unfortunately the ePO admin is not in the same city as we are. We are currently in the process of splitting off onto our own network, but that will be at least another 6mos-1yr.

In the mean time I have been in contact with the ePO admin and he has tried a manual push with no success. According it him the update services are running under Domain Admin group which is present on all our machines as an admin group, but again I am unable to verify this...I am only taking his word.

Thanks again for your assistance. There is another person with the exact same issue about five/six threads down.

No Problem
Sorry couldn't help more, but did have a thought, as it works under and admin acccount, is the issue a conflict between a GPO and virusScan console stopping the msi from running? You have the problem though of not having access to the logs on the ePO server which might be of more help to you.
Strange about permissions, we're citrix so the PC's don't sit on the domain and the msi's run fine when pushed out.
More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community