cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ePO server, agent and virusscan advice.

Hi,

I'm unable to gauge the overall feedback and issues with the latest patches for ePO and virusscan.

We're currently using ePO 5.1.1 Build 357, Agent 5.0.0.2620 and VirusScan 8.8.0.1247 (Patch 4). This setup is plaguing me with problems, mainly active directory sync hangs, macompatsvc memory leaks on servers. I believe ePO 5.3 fixes the sync problem and Agent 5.0.1 fixes the memory leak. Has anyone had a big issues with ePO 5.3 and/or Agent 5.0.1. I'm happy to stick with VirusScan 8.8 Patch 4 for the time being as I've read Patch 5 does have a lot of problems.

Has anyone got a good combination of ePO, Agent and VirusScan that works well?

My feeling is to upgrade ePO to 5.3, upgrade agent to 5.0.1 and leave VirusScan. Ideally I would like to rollback the agent to 4.8 put this doesn't seem as easy as to upgrade (just check into current branch).

Hope you can help,

8 Replies

Re: ePO server, agent and virusscan advice.

We are running ePO 5.1.2, MA 4.8.0.1938 & VSE 8.8.0.1247 on mostly everything, AD sync as well, for over 55k assets. Besides the common weird issues on various machines, everything works fine. We are testing MA 5.0.1 on a couple thousand assets, not any real problems yet.

mmcgary
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 9

Epo 5.1.2 and 5.3 are both fine. I would probably recommend 5.1.2 right now over 5.3 just because it's basically a patched 5.1.1 instead of a brand new version. Definitely get off the Agent 5.0 and up to 5.0.1 or down to 4.8p3. Stay with VSE patch 4 for the time being as patch 6 should be out shortly to resolve some important issues with patch 5.

Downgrading to Agent 4.8p3 is relatively easy. Just create a Product Deployment task for 4.8p3 and add these command line arguments to the task: /INSTALL=AGENT /FORCEINSTALL

Thanks for the feedback. I tried downgrading with the added command line, but it doesn't seem to work, the log shows the task starting then immediently finishing to no avail...

May look at 5.0.1 deployment on Monday.

mmcgary
Level 12
Message 5 of 9

I was mistaken. The framepkg.exe /INSTALL=AGENT /FORCEINSTALL command works fine to downgrade an Agent if you're on the local system command prompt but it does not work in EPO. You would have to do the Deploy Agent option and check the box for force install.

Have to agree with the recommendation to stick with 5.1.2.  I moved to 5.3 recently and have been having some odd bugs. 

Could I ask what issues you've been having with 5.3?

mmcgary
Level 12
Message 8 of 9

- After upgrading to 5.3, when I try to change a reputation on the TIE reputations page, I have to attempt to change the reputation several times before the change actually sticks.

- The issue with SuperAgent repositories randomly appearing and disappearing on agents that are not flagged as SuperAgents still persists.

- I have a scheduled server task that performs several event purge actions.  One of those actions purges events based on a query.  The purge by query action always fails and causes all subsequent actions on that task to not execute.  I can purge events manually by query, however. 

I don't think these are the known issues list, but I do have cases open for each of them.