cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ePO not pushing VirusScan 8.0i

Environment:
Windows 2003 Native AD
ePO 3.5.0.620 Enterprise Edition on Windows 2003
Roughly 700-900 machines on the network.

I've added seperate sites for all the domains in AD (currently 5)
When i add a machine to the domain, shouldn't ePO detect it within a few minutes and deploy the agent, then push out the VirusScan?

The agent seems to be pushed out ok, but then i've waited for VirusScan to get pushed for days, it never does. It works for some machines and not others....!?!?!
Policy enforcement interval 60 minutes
Agent to Server communication interval 120 minutes

What am i missing?
Thanks in advance
12 Replies
metalhead
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 13

RE: ePO not pushing VirusScan 8.0i

What are the settings of your deployment task ?

Cheers TOm

It's enabled, set to Daily at 2pm, randomization is enabled at every 2 hours, and schedule task daily is set to every 1 day
metalhead
Level 12
Message 4 of 13

What do you mean by "schedule task daily" ? The deployment task or an epo agent update task ?

Cheers TOm

Here's a screen shot of the deployment task:

metalhead
Level 12
Message 6 of 13

Have you checked the "Run at every enforcement intervall" option in the properties of this task ? If not this task will only run on clients which are powered on at exactly 2:00p.m.

If you want an immediate installation best set this task to "Run once" and check the "Run missed task" option. Then also set the "Run at every enforcement intervall". Be careful as the last option will make the client connect to its repository at every policy enforcement intervall which is by default 5 minutes. This will generate approx. 160 kb per client per connection.

Cheers Tom

The Run Task at every policy enforcement interval is now checked, it wasn't before. The Policy enforcement interval is set to 60 minutes and the Agent to Server Communication is set to 120 minutes. Do those seem like optimal settings?

Here's an updated screen shot. Should i uncheck the randomization? I also changed the time to 12:30pm since that's when most people are out to lunch so somewhat less taxing on the network.

Thanks so much for all your help.
metalhead
Level 12
Message 8 of 13

Ok this will work.

But if you want an immediate installation of Virusscan 8 after pushing out the epo agent you will have to set these settings:

Scheduled task: "Run once"
Option: "Missed task enabled"
No randomization
Start at 00:01 o´clock
Enable "at every policy enforcement intervall"

As the epo agents will not connect all at the same time there is already a "randomization" for the install.

The problem with the "Daily" setting is that this task will be executed the NEXT day even if the missed task option is enabled. So for newly installed ePO agents it will take till the next day 12:30 (or later if they switch on after 12:30) to install VS8.

Cheers Tom

Tom, I must say that your knowledge is extensive. Should we call you Master Tom? wink

<off topic>
Thanks for the laud.

The secret is doing more than 100 ePO installations at customer sites gives a great knowledgebase of occuring errors and solutions.

And I must say that seeing the development of epo from version 1.0 to 3.5 was a great pleasure (and working with it, too :-)
</off topic>

Cheers Tom