cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ePO VM Storage IO Issues

Jump to solution

We have been seeing high IO on an ESX hosted SQL ePO 5.3.2 DB. McAfee say it is a storage issue. Our storage people say the storage is OK (T1, isolated etc). McAfee say other companies have solved similar storage issues, yet have no details on what those companies did. They also seem to have no idea why some of the stored procedures seem to be so IO intensive (especially HIPS Properties). Anybdoy out there got any advice? I dont need things related to backups, scheduled tasks etc

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: ePO VM Storage IO Issues

Jump to solution

Thanks for the answer. We have discovered that our supplier has not given us the SSD disk storage we expected. We shall be discussing that shortly and will hopefully get it. Meanwhile I will check the best practices for VSE on SQL, although I would hope that was done when built (I didnt build it). 140,000 systems active on a normal day. ASCI is only every 4 hours. I have already removed a lot of event notifications. I dont think it is dashboard related as I got the same results at quiet times. More to follow...........

4 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

How many systems are being managed by your epo?  I answered your hips stored procedure question in other post.

There are many things that can cause I/O issues on an sql server, whether it is virtual or physical.  What AV exclusions do you have in place on the sql server?  How frequent is asci and server/client tasks?  Are there large queries in dashboards? 

The type of disk used also on the storage can make a difference.  I had one customer with outdated drives and once they updated them, performance improved substantially.  The type of raid or drive array can also make a difference. 

To answer completely, we would need a lot of data, such as performance monitor data showing disk i/o, process information for cpu and memory usage, etc. 

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thanks for the answer. We have discovered that our supplier has not given us the SSD disk storage we expected. We shall be discussing that shortly and will hopefully get it. Meanwhile I will check the best practices for VSE on SQL, although I would hope that was done when built (I didnt build it). 140,000 systems active on a normal day. ASCI is only every 4 hours. I have already removed a lot of event notifications. I dont think it is dashboard related as I got the same results at quiet times. More to follow...........

McAfee Employee hem
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

Please look at #:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB67211

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

With 140k systems and 4 hour asci, that may be too frequent.  Do you have any agent handlers?  If so, how many?  Too many agent handlers can also impact performance.  I would recommend increasing asci to every 6 hours.  Frequency of client tasks can also impact things, since every connection is logged and data written to the database. 

Definitely review the KB you were given for sql exclusions.  Having the sql processes as low risk and proper file type exclusions for your db files can make a huge difference.  You also might want to exclude file types of .log since they are written to frequently.  The one thing about AV exclusions is to keep them as minimal as possible.  If you have hundreds of excluded items, especially if they are not relevant to your sql server, it takes the scanner all that much more time to parse through them on every read/write scan.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator