Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kens
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

ePO Upgrade to 4.6 failure due to 8.3 file naming convention problem

I started the upgrade to ePO 4.6.2 last night from 4.5.3 and the installer reported that I needed to enable 8.3 naming convention.  I enabled 8.3 using fsutil.exe per KB51431.  I restarted the installation and it failed.  I noticed in KB51431under solution 1 “Installation to a path that failed before 8.3 naming wasenabled will still fail to that same path. Point the installation to a new directory path because 8.3 naming support is added to the path by default when enabled.”

I don’t recall having an option with the upgrade to selectthe directory path.

Options that I have considered:

1)    1 -   Remove ePO 4.5 and install ePO 4.6.2. 

2)     2 -  Use fsutil.exe to set the folder shortname.  i.e.: fsutil file setshortname “c:\programfiles\mcafee\ ePolicy” ePO

This is a fairly simple installation, a single server, no super agents; therefore Option 1 is not unreasonable at this point.

I tried to run the setup a second time to check for an installation path selection and it receive the following message: “The wizard was interrupted before McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator could be installed.  Your system has not been modified.  To complete the installation at another time,please run setup again."

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Ken Schmid

4 Replies

Re: ePO Upgrade to 4.6 failure due to 8.3 file naming convention problem

Before the install, try running this command at the command prompt

fsuitl behavior set disable8dot3 0

kens
Level 7
Message 3 of 5

I tried the command.  Now when I run the setup.exe program; the installer displays Configuring the Windows Installer, flashes up a screen where it would start the install and stops with the message:

“The wizard was interrupted before McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator could be installed.  Your system has not been modified.  To complete the installation at another time,please run setup again."

I wish McAfee would include in the docmenetation the requirement for 8dot3 naming.

Here are some things you may want to try

1. reboot the system, delete and clear out all temp files created by the installer

2.Place the installer in a directory with a short path..like c:\install

3.Run setup from the command line using a debug switch so you can see where it is failing

setup.exe DEBUGOUTPUT=X

Where x=1 to 3

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 5

Hi,

If it is a problem because of missing short directory names, you can verify that by examining the directory output of C:\Program Files\McAfee folder.

At the command prompt, type dir /X /S C:\Program Files\McAfee

Check if there is a short file name listed for ePolicy Orchestrator folder - should be something like EPOLIC~1.  I doubt this is the issue - since ePO would fail to install if the short filenames were not enabled in the first place.

As John suggested, you could attempt gathering the debug logs with setup.exe DEBUGOUTPUT=2   from the command line.

Note that if you use setup.exe with DEBUGOUTPUT=3, all passwords are in clear text and visible in the logs.