cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ePO Tags "Is Laptop"

Jump to solution

Hi All,

Does anyone know how ePO distiguishes when or how a machine is a laptop?

There is a tag criteria called "Is Laptop" but how does ePO know? see attachment.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 15

Re: ePO Tags "Is Laptop"

Jump to solution

No problem

Can I ask why you're asking? Are you having trouble with machines being incorrectly identified?

Joe

14 Replies
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 15

Jump to solution

Hi...

The agent queries WMI for the Win32_SystemEnclosure value, and determines whether the machine is a laptop or not based on the results. (Essentially it's looking for a particular chassis type.)

Regards -

Joe

Jump to solution

awesome...thanks for the reply

Kev

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 15

Jump to solution

No problem

Can I ask why you're asking? Are you having trouble with machines being incorrectly identified?

Joe

Jump to solution

its just out out interests sake, thats all.

Everything is working out smoothly..I'm loving how well ePO 4.5 works. Its a pleasure to work with.

Jump to solution

another thing I noticed is that tags are used before IP address in the sorting process. Is this correct?

Jump to solution

Hi Joe,

I am seeing machines being incorrectly indentified as laptops.  When I run the initial tag setup for Is Laptop = Yes, I pull back 6 times as many machines as we have laptops.  We have USFF, Dell Optiplex 745, etc., but shouldn't those pull back a different value from the System Enclosure Class?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa394474(VS.85).aspx

Any ideas on a workaround?

Thanks,

Ian

foobar
Level 7
Message 8 of 15

Jump to solution

I had a similar issue a few days ago. From what I was able to find out, the "is laptop" value on ePO referes to the "is portable" on the agent (4.0/4.5).

Dell USFF devices are considered "portable" as they return WMI code 16 (lunch box).

Although a "lunch box" is theoretically a portable device, it sure ain't a laptop, so I guess McAfee should fix this inconsistency.

CEP

on 3/18/10 6:47:28 PM CDT
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 15

Jump to solution

If it's reproducible, please open a support case as this will need to be fixed in code. As foobar says it's probably because the chassis is coming back as 16, which will flag the IsLaptop as true.

Regards -

Joe

foobar
Level 7
Message 10 of 15

Jump to solution

Hi Joe,

Sorry about the late reply.

I did that already. Support told me to open a FMR in order to suggest a "product improvement" as the issue wasn't a product defect.

I guess I'll be opening a FMR asking for the "is laptop" label in ePO to be changed to "is portable" (so it matches the information gathered by the agent).

Regards,

CEP