cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ePO Database

Jump to solution
Can I reuse same SQL database from previous ePO version or do I have to create a new one? I'm upgrading ePO 5.3.0 (VM) to a new VM (ePO 5.10)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 6 of 10

Re: ePO Database

Jump to solution

To answer your question then...

Instead we have a 2016 VM and my intension is to install a fresh install of ePO 5.10

What would be McAfee's recommendation in this scenario?
Same DB? Absolutely not since that is a db for a different version of epo
NEW DB? You will not create any db ahead of time.  The install will create its own database.
What would be the overhead if 2 servers were sharing the same DB? It is not possible to share the db between 2 epo servers, whether same or different version of epo - each install of epo has its own database.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

9 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 10

Jump to solution

You never need to create a database for epo - the install process does that.  How exactly are you planning on doing this?  KB86693 lists the supported upgrade paths for epo versions.  5.3.0 to 5.10 is not supported, so you will need to first upgrade to 5.3.2.  You also will need to look at kb51569 for the supported operating systems and sql versions for the different versions, as this will most likely be a stepped upgrade process including sql, depending on the sql version you are on.  I would recommend this (assuming lower versions of sql and OS, but I could be wrong as I don't have any info on that).

1. Upgrade your existing to 5.3.2

2. If the database is on an unsupported version of sql for 5.10, you will need to move the database to a supported version of sql for both 5.3.2 and 5.10.  See kb68427 for that.

3. Restore the 5.3.2 server to the new vm using restore from snapshot procedure - be sure you have all the proper backups and know your disaster recovery passphrase password - see install guide for epo and kb66616 and 71825 for upgrade checklists, and run the pre installation auditor tool.  The OS version would have to be one that both 5.3.2 and 5.10 support.

4. Once you do that, then you can upgrade the 5.3.2 server to 5.10.

Now that process has a lot of potential for failure and if you wanted to go to an OS version on the new server that isn't supported with 5.3.2, then that puts a damper on things.  You also have to consider whether you will be keeping servername and IP the same or different on the new server, as that can break communication if you don't, and don't have proper dns redirects in place.

What I would suggest as an alternative is to keep your existing server as is, build up a completely fresh new 5.10 server, import policies, system tree, tasks and assignments, etc., then transfer your existing systems to the new server.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

The current VM is Server 2008
The current DB for ePO v5.3.0 is pointing to a SQL server (Server 2012)
We are not doing an in-place upgrade

Instead we have a 2016 VM and my intension is to install a fresh install of ePO 5.10

Same DB?
NEW DB?
What would be the overhead if 2 servers were sharing the same DB?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 10

Jump to solution

When you say new or same DB, are you referring to the sql server itself, or the actual database?

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution

I'm referring to the actual database itself

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

To answer your question then...

Same DB? Absolutely not since that is a db for a different version of epo
NEW DB? You will not create any db ahead of time.  The install will create its own database.
What would be the overhead if 2 servers were sharing the same DB? It is not possible to share the db between 2 epo servers, whether same or different version of epo - each install of epo has its own database.

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution

If you're saying, "You will not create any db ahead of time.  The install will create its own database"

Are you're saying I can't create a new DB on our SQL server and have ePO pointed there?  The DB has to be local?

OR, are you saying when I go through this wizard, it's creating it for me where I want the DB to be?

ePO_DB_Wizard.JPG

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

No, it does not need to be local and yes, you do not create a database and point the install to it.  I am saying, yes - "when I go through this wizard, it's creating it for me where I want the DB to be"

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution

Thanks,

Once I was granted Dbcreator I was able to continue on

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution

That is great to hear! 

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community