Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
undrstr
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 15

ePO Database conneciton on install

It has been a while since my last install.  for the last number of years, I have only had to upgrade my ePO server.  Today i am installing fresh on a test box so that I can really break things. 

Current sitation is as follows:

Downloaded ePO 5.3.1 (it is what my network is using so that is what I am testing with)
unzipped the installer
Started running the installation. 
using the SQL Express that came with the download
Get to Database Information
    --> I make sure the Database sever was correct
    --> Made sure my username and password were correct
   --> even changed the registry to make sure I could use mixed authentication.

I still come up with the messgae, when trying to connect via SQL Autnetication i receive 1434 or 1433 UDP cannot be used.  And I am unable to validate the credentials with my Admin Account.

Last piece of this puzzle. I am attempting this install on my windows 7 test system with a local SQL Express Database. 

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

14 Replies
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 2 of 15

Re: ePO Database conneciton on install

undrstr,

You may have to enable the ports within the SQL server, I ran into a problem a couple of years ago where the SQL server had to have the 1433 port enabled within the SQL software.

HTH,

DocB

cdinet McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 15

There are a couple of things to check.  Goto sql configuration manager and validate that tcp is enabled, and that you are using the right port.  Sql express installs usually install it as an instance, such as eposerver, and a non-default port other than 1433.  Validate instance name and port.  If either one of those is incorrect, it will fail.  You can also validate sql connectivity first by using test udl (kb70929)

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Highlighted
undrstr
Level 9
Message 4 of 15

Thank you for the help.

Here is where we are currently.  The Database information screen for the Installation still will not access the database. 

However when I use the Test.udl to check the connection via Windows NT Integrated Security. I get a successful conneciton.  I try my username and password and I still get no go.  But there is a connection.

Here is what I have in the Database connection screen.

Database Server = MKIRBY-PC\EPOSERVER
Database name = ePO_MKIRBY-PC
Domain              = MKIRBY-PC
Windows Authentication 
     Username = mkirby
     Password  = verified correct password.  (Several times,  LOL)
SQL server TCP Port:  Tried 1433; 1434; 80 and; 443.

Thanks again for all the help.

cdinet McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 15

in sql configuration manager, did you confirm the ports being used are what you are using?

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

undrstr
Level 9
Message 6 of 15

Yes I did.

however the SQL Manager only confirmed for SQL  nor SQL Express.  Wasn't sure if that was p[roper, but its what I had to go by.

cdinet McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 15

for windows authentication, is it local windows account or domain?  did you try domain\username if it is domain account?

If you set up an sql account with proper permissions, does that authenticate?

Was my reply helpful?

cdinet McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 15

when you used the test.udl, did you add a port or did it just find it?  Can you send a screenshot of the settings for tcp in configuration manager?  So you would go to sql configuration manager (not management studio), sql server network configuration, protocols for eposerver, then double-click tcp.  go to ip addresses tab, scroll to bottom and take screenshot of just the tcp ports at bottom of screen.  I don't want your IP info or any specific server info.

Was my reply helpful?

undrstr
Level 9
Message 9 of 15

I am not on a domain so using it as a local account. 

The UDL didnt use a port.  It just found it.

cdinet McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 15

Ok, can you get a screenshot of the ports in config mgr?

Was my reply helpful?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community