cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Nick_B
Level 11
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 29

ePO Database Connection Issue (DB Server Key Check Failed)

Dear McAfee Community,

This morning an issue surfaced in that our support team guy who supports one of our customer sites, was unable to login to the ePO console using the browser.

He was presented with the error message as seen below.

Error - DB Server Key Checked Failed.PNGDB Server Key Check Failed

I asked one of the support guys on site if he could browse to the core/config page and perform a DB connection test which he did - results below:

Test failed - network error IO-Exception - null.PNGDB Connectivity Test

The SQL setup is a cluster of two servers running MS SQL Server 2016 (Full version) so the name at the top of the DB Settings page - FCL-SQL-027AG3L is the Listener Name.  

I asked the DBA if he could actually see ePO making a connection to SQL and he confirmed that he could.

I've also requested a copy of the Orion and Server logs from the ePO server itself for analysis.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received πŸ™‚

Thanks guys and girls!

28 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 29

Re: ePO Database Connection Issue (DB Server Key Check Failed)

What changed in the environment?  Windows updates, anything?  Did they do anything with cert migration?

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Nick_B
Level 11
Message 3 of 29

Hi Caryn,

Well, all was working fine as at 09.04 on Wednesday morning as our support guy logs on and checks the Master Repository Update Pull task succeeded etc.

Richard, the guy on site who works for the customer informed me there were issues with the SQL cluster and suspected it may have been a patching issue but no one has confirmed or denied this.

In terms of Certificate Migration, this was launched on 24 May but has yet to be activated as only about 80% of the endpoints have communicated with ePO (last time I checked was about a week ago when I was onsite) to receive their new cert, so that will not have been activated yet by the customer as they were instructed not to touch it.

The SQL DBA guy onsite reckons that he can see ePO connecting to SQL in the logs but sent me no screenshot or anything to verify this at all. I only have his word.

They have yet to send me the logs - Orion & Server being the main ones I would imagine so we can get some clues as to what has gone on. Our Support guy is also unable to RDP to the server so we;ll have to wait until the customer uploads them into the ticketing system or email them across.

It's all a bit strange!

I shall keep you posted, Caryn.

Thank you.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 29

You might also want to get sql error logs.  Sounds like an issue with sql server, to be honest.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Nick_B
Level 11
Message 5 of 29

Indeed, that's our gut feeling too.

You mean the SQL Error logs from the SQL Server itself?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 29

Yes, sql error logs from sql server itself.

Was my reply helpful?

Nick_B
Level 11
Message 7 of 29

Sorry, indeed where else.

I've requested that the SQL Error logs be sent across.

Hopefully they'll comply with that request.

I'm still waiting for the logs from ePO!

Nick_B
Level 11
Message 8 of 29

In the meantime I've asked Richard to stop/restart the ePO services and failing that restart the ePO server.

It would actually be quicker to restart the server as it's a VM!

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 29

True, not sure if it would help though, if the issue is on sql side.

Was my reply helpful?

Nick_B
Level 11
Message 10 of 29

Indeed, I doubt it will help to be honest. It's a long shot!

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community