cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zarberg
Level 10

ePO Applications Server service not stopping

Quite often when I need to perform work on my ePO server, I stop the various services involved: first I stop the McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 4.6.4 Event Parser, then I stop the McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 4.6.4 Server (Apache) and finally I try to stop the McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 4.6.4 Application Server but often this hangs - it will time out and I'll get a default Windows message about services in a hung state.

Does this happen to anyone else? Any ideas to try?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
McAfee Employee

Re: ePO Applications Server service not stopping

This usually happens because the application server (tomcat) is running a task (including but not limited only to a server task) which cannot be completed in the time limit that the windows service console allots for this. If you wait a while despite the error it should eventually shut down on its own.

0 Kudos
zarberg
Level 10

I'm having the same issue except I'm performing an upgrade from 4.6.5 to 5.0.1

I'm not sure what to do since the service has said "stopping" for the past 30 minutes now.

0 Kudos
zarberg
Level 10

Ahhh, and now the install failed because the service wouldn't stop and the old ePO server isn't coming back up.

glad this was a test!

0 Kudos
andrep1
Level 14

A classic... open task manager and kill tomcat5.exe.

I would also recommend looking at the checklist for ePo upgrade which mention disabling server tasks...

0 Kudos
zarberg
Level 10

Actually Tomcat wasn't running ... the service just doesn't want to stop.

0 Kudos
andrep1
Level 14

If the tomcat5.exe process is gone, then the service would be terminated. I'Ve never seen an instance of teh service running without tomcat5.exe being present as the service IS tomcat5.exe

0 Kudos
zarberg
Level 10

Nevermind, I'm an idiot ... was logged in under a different profile and it wasn't showing processes from all users.

0 Kudos