Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KenP
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 21 of 35

RE: ePO Agent installed on a standard image

Kind of, My question is not really about the IP management, more about the Policies and with our current image, it not creating a workstation object.

Example. Say we image a computer lab in a building with the current NON-fixed (with the agent key still intact) image. Now this lab will contact the EPO server, will get dat updates/engine updates and client updates.

However, will the policies like Scan at 12am take on this newly imaged PC that does not have a workstation object in the Directory? Our current problem is that we released a new image with the agentID attached to the image a few weeks ago, and now 3-4 of our PC labs are not showing in the directory at all (due to the problem above i expect). Now are these out of directory PCs, getting the correct polices for their IP range, even though the are not in the directory as workstations.

I encountered this same thing. Seems like the multiple PCs with same GUIDs were stepping all over each other in the directory. I finally was able to resolve by deleting not just the GUID registry key, but also the computer name, IP, and MAC address keys. And I also deleted the computer account entries out of ePO so they'd be forced to recreate. Probably overkill, but it sure seemed to work.
KenP
Level 7
Message 23 of 35

I've just been doing this.

made a reg file with

-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\ePolicy Orchestrator\Agent

in it and let it fly. Deletes the whole Agent section.

Now, it seems to work on a few test boxes, however, will be trying it with a image later today or monday.

After I bring an imaged PC on line for the first time, it would Re-Generate its GUID and properly fall into its designated group. However, on some occations a PC will show up in an odd group and Ill have to move it to its correct group. This doesnt hurt anything and it does seem to get its proper policy inforcments.
KenP
Level 7
Message 25 of 35

were you removing the key, shutting down, then imaging, or were you doing anything different. (like killing the Commonframwork process, etc, before removing the key)
Highlighted

Before I imaged the base user PC I disconnected the PC form the network so it didnt communicate with the EPO server. I then removed the GUID key from the registry, run sysprep and then create the image or "Clone" as I like to call it. When I go to set up a new machine, I relaod that image and bring the PC online, personalize it for the user, and give it a unique network name. Then it regenerates the new GUID for the agent.

right, i follow - 20 + machines are represented in ePO as one machine.

then they are effectively glued together in terms of what you can do with them, the policy set at one node, is actually 20+ nodes, and any reporting you do will make no sense,

if you use rsd , most of these machines will chow up as rogue, as they are not listed individually in the epo directory.

fi you are handy with sql you can see what is going on like this,

select * from leafnode where agentGUID = 'insertguidhere'

re run this query every few mins, the nodename will change as each machine checks in with epo on its hourly ASCI and updates the db with the computers new name eg, any one of 20 names from your pc lab

you can fix this by doing "send agent install" to the pc lab in question - this installs the agent with a /forceinstall switch which will force recreation of the agent guid, so 20 guids will be created, instead of them all sharing 1
jmcleish
Level 13
Message 28 of 35

I've just realised i have this problem on some of my lab machines that were ghosted. (Although the images were not supposed to have any AV s/w on them)
Anyway, i deleted the agent key and reinstalled the framepkg, which did indeed recreate a new GUID.

However, for that machine in the directory, the properties for the agent only now show: Installed path, plugin version and language.

After reboots and collect and send props from my machine the rest of the agent properties do not appear.
Is this the same as what others have?

Thanks

Jane

what happens if you do a wakeup call, and select "get full product properties"

i suspect it is because you have missed the full properties upload because the guid was changed some time after install.
jmcleish
Level 13
Message 30 of 35

Still the same- just those three entries.

If i do a frminst.exe /forceuninstall and then reinstall the agent it creates a new GUID and then repopulates the rest of the properties.
More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community