cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RE: ePO Agent installed on a standard image

I will try this, see if it works... I hope this is not going to be a problem... if so I'll just install an older version of the agent on our images and let them upgrade once they check in... I do not know if that will work though....

A patch would be the best!
KenP
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 12 of 35

Well, it worked on a test PC i used, haven't pushed the - regkey out to any other workstations yet. I was hoping that the EPO patch 2 would fix the issue, but i have nooo clue if it will.

Doesn't look like the Client patch 2 did anything. (granted, i wasn't expecting it too, there is nothing in the readme about it)
Highlighted

Thanks for keeping us up on your progress. So far I've had pretty good luck with this work around. However, I do hope a fix comes along so I dont have to Fuss with that registry Key on every workstation I build or rebuild.

It worked!

My steps were:

1. remove the AGENTGUID key (not just the value the whole key)
2. reboot
3. install new agent.

It might work to install the agent after deleted the key, but it this process has worked for me, so I'll probably stick to it if I have more come up.

I wonder if you call a reg file that removes the AGENTGUID key when the machine boots the 1st time if that would help this from happening in the future after imaging..
KenP
Level 7
Message 15 of 35

You know, i've assumed that EPO patch 2 would fix the issue, but anyone know for sure?

I swore i read something about it somewhere, but can't seem to find it.

you guys are right , post CMA 3.5, the guid is sticky this is by design and wont be changed,

the product guide details about deleting the guid key before preparing an image ,

the agent will recreate the guid on svc startup if it is missing,

this is to prevent the old problem of the machine creating duplicate entries it would create a guid based on one mac address, and so create an entry in the epo dir, then connect using a dialup modem ( fr example that has a different mac ) and create itself a new guid, and therefore there would be 2x entries for the same machine in epo
KenP
Level 7
Message 17 of 35

So your saying that its not exaclty broken, its really doing whats its supposed to do? (meaning, its not something that will be fixed).

So, a new image -the agent key, is called for?

yes, thats it,

if you are preparing a machine for imaging, delete the agentguid key, then image,

the agent will create a guid upon startup
KenP
Level 7
Message 19 of 35

And another quick question about the GUID.

Now our imaged PC seems to be getting updates with little problem, even if they are not showing up in the ip groups they should be.

Now, are those PCs still getting the correct policies associated with their IP range, or do the policies to a group only effect the workstations shown in the directory (the ones with good clean GUIDs). Its been something i haven't been able to determine, since it appears they are still doing timed scans, at least some of them are(by looking at the infection log)

the ip management rules only effect new machines joining epo, its how they are sorted initially. - you can move machines out of the initial groups and epo wont complain ( if i recall correctly)

it is the group that defines the policies and tasks recieved by an agent, but the identifier epo uses to reference the machines is the guid, it doesnt really care about anything else,

if you are in any doubt that you might have more than one machine with the same guid, then delete the guid key just in case, otherwise the node will simply swap names based on which instance of the same guid is contacting at that time

does that make sense ? - am i answering your question ?
More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community