cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

ePO Agent Installs (sort of) but does not communicate with Server

Hi,

I have a werid issue. I am using the ePO Frame Package agenct v4.0. I install it on a Windows 2008 Standard Edition server. The agent installs correctly. The service runs. No issues. But it does not communicate with the ePO server. What makes it odd is that even though the agent installs correctly it does not write anything to the registry on the server.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
--> SOFTWARE
----> NETWORK ASSOCIATES (Does not exist!)

We are in the mist of deploying out Windows servers. Some it works on some it doesn't. There is no difference between the servers. Same hardware, etc... I am doing the install as a Domain Admin. On the servers it works I have been using the same account. The account also has full permission to the above key.

Any thoughts or ideals? Also there is nothing in the error log. By all accounts minus the registry issue you would think it should run.

Thanks.... T
Tags (2)
8 Replies

RE: ePO Agent Installs (sort of) but does not communicate with Server

is it x64 Windows by chance??

Hi Sean... Yes it is a x64 system.

Ok that's why you don't see the registry entries in the typical location.

Only a true 64 bit app will write to that registry location. Once you are in the software key, look for "Wow6432Node" and you will find the traditional "Mcafee" and "Network Associates".

I'm running 8.7i and 4patch2 of the agent (on the only 2008 x64 server we have) and I don't seem to pull down my EPO tasks at all. Everything else is working ok though.

The only problem with that Sean is that it does install on some systems and others it does not.
All these server are HP Proliant dl380 G5 servers. 64 Bit Processor running Winows 2008 Standard Edition 64 bit edition.
On some it shows and some others it does not. The ones it works on it does. The others it doesn't.

are these made from an OS image? If not, is UAC disabled on all of them?

Here are the paths that you should see registry entries in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\McAfee
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Network Associates
bpnse
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 7 of 9

I am seeing the same issue with all of our 2008 servers. Both 32 and 64 bit. Is this a know bug that they will not report back to the console?

If you bring up the Agent GUI [1] and click on "Collect and Send Props", does the GUI log show communication happening with the expected ePolicy server?

[1] Locate the installation directory for the Agent and run "cmdagent.exe /s"
bpnse
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 9 of 9

On the few 2008 servers where the Framework installs correctly and the naprdmgr, and other portions show running in the Taskmgr, If I bring up the Agent GUI and tell it to collect and send props, it does communicate with the EPO server, it looks for new policies, and does not find any. Even though the server has policies defined, it also does not find any updates.

Thank you for your help, any further help is greatly appreciated.
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community