cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ePO API Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has had any issues using the API explorer after upgrading to 5.9 ?

When trying to run any command I get the following error message

"The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send."

Anyone seen this before when using the API explorer ?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee JoeBidgood
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 9

Re: ePO API Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi...

Yes, I've seen this. It appears that the API explorer is not compatible with the new RSA libraries in ePO 5.9 (and 5.3.3.) Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anything we can do about this: the tool was created a while ago by one of the forum contributors, and I don't believe it is being maintained any more

8 Replies
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 9

Jump to solution

Hi...

Yes, I've seen this. It appears that the API explorer is not compatible with the new RSA libraries in ePO 5.9 (and 5.3.3.) Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anything we can do about this: the tool was created a while ago by one of the forum contributors, and I don't believe it is being maintained any more

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply Joe , its a shame though as the API was very handy for a lot of things.

McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 9

Jump to solution

Just to clarify - the web API commands all still work and are supported: it's just the API Explorer tool that no longer works. You can still run API commands via any other method like curl, wget, Python, or even directly from a browser.

Regards -

Joe

Jump to solution

Funnily enough we are able to use the scripts elsewhere however we did have to change TLS on it in order for it to work , is this something you have seen before ?

McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 9

Jump to solution

Changes to TLS would make sense - can you clarify a bit? What changes did you make?

mcdave
Level 10
Message 7 of 9

Jump to solution

Only the API explorer tool?
I doubt, I do get the same errors with my powershell scripts (Invoke-RestMethod (which is an equivalent of curl & wget))?
It's a pitty because this breaks one of our automated processes to find stale computers and perform actions on them (already lost a day troubleshooting).

McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 9

Jump to solution

The changes in 5.3.3 / 5.9 will affect anything trying to use the APIs, but as far as I know only the API Explorer is irreparably broken: other methods should be able to work. (For example the Python client that is available for download from McAfee is affected, because the version of python it contains is very old: but if you use a more recent version of python, it works correctly. We will be posting an updated python client package shortly, I believe.)

Can you post an example of the code you're using and I can investigate?

Highlighted

Jump to solution

For powershell, you need to tell it to use TLS 1.2 instead of TLS 1.1 (the default). Either run the below command or add it to your powershell profile.

[Net.ServicePointManager]::SecurityProtocol = [Net.SecurityProtocolType]::Tls12

Sauce: https://stackoverflow.com/a/41618979

This may also be the case for python, defining the protocol to use.

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community