Did you mean: 
Pixels
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

ePO 5.10 custom permission set corrupted

Jump to solution

Hi,

We have just upgrade our client to ePO 5.10 in both of their environments. 

In both environments the custom permission set were created using ePO 5.9. Once upgrade to ePO 5.10 and wwe select the permission set we recieve "Unexpected error has occured".  We are unabel to delete that set as were unabel to access it.  We then have to log off then back on to be able to view the other out of box permission sets.

Any idea how we can delete this custom permisison set?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Re: ePO 5.10 custom permission set corrupted

Jump to solution

There are several issues we have seen causing this.  One is an invalid role, such as the myavert role that was left behind when the extension was removed.  There is another known issue where certain versions of dlp extensions introduce a problem that when it is upgraded to newer version, it breaks permission set.  It is possible to remove it, but we would first need to determine what extension is causing the problem.  The reason you could access it in the beginning is because all the extensions hadn't finished loading.  Once the offending one finished loading, then you got the error again.  I would suggest first making sure that permission set isn't assigned to anyone, then when you are at a point where you can access it, delete it before the other extensions finish loading.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

5 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

Were there any extensions upgraded recently?  Enable some extra logging to see what the real error is.

logging unexpected errors. 
First do this:
1- Edit server\conf\orion\orion.properties
2- Replace 'orion.exception.show.detail=false' with 'orion.exception.show.detail=true'
3- Restart Tomcat

Then reproduce the issue. Instead of "unexpected error" the console should give you a jstack trace.

Be sure to turn that back off when finished.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Pixels
Level 9
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi,

Ok so I tried this and still showing "Unexpected Error has occured" and it didn't provide any more info.

We did upgrade the management extension and reports for VSE to patch 12 as it needed to be upgraded as apart of the epo upgrade.

One thing I did notice however, is that once I restarted the services as you advised, I was able to access the policy wihtout any errors.  Once all the dashboard came up after the cycling of the services I could no longer access the custom permission set.  In our case since were not really using that permission set I could do that as a work around to delete it.  However, I'd like to find out why this happened.  If we create a new permission set in 5.10 we dont see any issues.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

There are several issues we have seen causing this.  One is an invalid role, such as the myavert role that was left behind when the extension was removed.  There is another known issue where certain versions of dlp extensions introduce a problem that when it is upgraded to newer version, it breaks permission set.  It is possible to remove it, but we would first need to determine what extension is causing the problem.  The reason you could access it in the beginning is because all the extensions hadn't finished loading.  Once the offending one finished loading, then you got the error again.  I would suggest first making sure that permission set isn't assigned to anyone, then when you are at a point where you can access it, delete it before the other extensions finish loading.

Was my reply helpful?

Highlighted
Pixels
Level 9
Message 5 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi cdinet,

As always thank you for your support and your quick response!  Honestly, you’re doing a great job!!

I'd have to agree with you on this %100 as it appears to be an extension causing this issue...  I think the easiest way to resolve this issue is just deleting the permission set when I cna access it.  It's not assigned to anybody so no issue there or impact.  Creating a new permission set appears to work without any issues in ePO so I'm pretty happy to see that.

Anyways thanks again it's much appreciated!!

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

Always glad to help!

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support

• Download the new ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) Support Center Extension which simplifies ePO management and provides support resources directly in the console. Learn more about ePO Support Center