cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

ePO 5.1.3 to 5.9.1 while moving to new VM

Hi,

I'm planning to replace a ePO 5.1.3 on our customers site with a new instance of ePO 5.9.1.

Its necessary due to EOL and to replace a Server 2008 R2 VM.

There are 3rd party tools and firewall/routing settings already in place that points to SERVER A (old).

Is it realistic to setup Server B OS+SQL, then moving the ePO +DB from  Server A and rename Server B to Server A + same IP ?

The current plan:

Server A = Server 2008R2 with ePO 5.1.3 on SQL 2012 Full

Server B = Server 2016 with ePO 5.9.1 on SQL 2016 Full <-not build yet

Step 1: Upgrade Server A to ePO 5.9.1

Step 2: Setup Server B, then connect both ePO instances

Step 3: Moving policies, reports, tasks from A to B

Step 4: Move "some" systems from A to B

Step 5: Move "more" systems from A to B is step 4 was ok

Step 6: Move "critical" systems from A to B (DE/FRP)

Plan "B":

Server A = Server 2008R2 with ePO 5.1.3 on SQL 2012 Full

Server B = Server 2016 with ePO 5.9.1 on SQL 2016 Full <-not build yet

Step 1: Upgrade Server A to ePO 5.9.1

Step 2: Take Server A "offline" so no client/server connection

Step 3: Move DB +ePO Setup from A to B

Step 4: Rename B to A with IP change

Step 5: Use B instead of A with no clients/tasks/reports moving, just replacing new machine with the old one

Which one would work and if both work, which one is the preferred one ?

I tend to like Plan "B" more, because there are a lot of dependencies between Server A and other systems

3 Replies
Reliable Contributor bodysoda
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: ePO 5.1.3 to 5.9.1 while moving to new VM

For fun, here is a Plan C

1. First do inplace upgrade EPO 5.1.3 to 5.9.1. There are lot of prechecks you need to take care before going to 5.9.1. Example SSH-1 Certificate etc...

2. Confirm everything works after upgrading to 5.9.1.

3. Build the new 2016 server install EPO 5.9.1.
4. Get all your firewall ports opened as Server. SHould be farely easy for the firewall team.
5. Perform system transfer between Server A to Server B.

This ensure you have clean up.
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 4

Your easiest scenario would be this.  Ensure you have a current snapshot recovery task completed successfully in epo.  You can then follow the steps in kb82808 (the actual versions are irrelevant).  This will basically migrate your existing server and upgrade it at the same time to your new server.  This may require installing sql first, if sql is going to be on the same server.

Once you run the migration tool on the old server to get the migrate.zip file, you can then turn that server off and rename your new one if desired.  It is not required, but you will need to keep either the server name or the IP address the same as the old so clients can find the new server.  You don't want to have to rename the new server after epo and sql are installed.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

With any upgrade, no matter how you choose to do it, be sure to run through KB71825 - upgrade checklist first.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.