cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ePO 4.6 compatibility with VMware ESXi 5.1

Hello Experts,

According to KB51569, ePO 4.6 is not supported on VMware ESXi 5.1. what is exactly in ePO  not supported with ESXi 5.1 ?

What has ePO to do with VMware Hypervisor ? Is there any risk keeping this version on ESXi 5.1 ?

We have physical  ePO 4.6 server and we converted to VMware VM in ESXi 5.1 environment and started to get some problems with the management session in IE 8. After some time, the session hangs and we need to close the windows and open it again.  Could this issue be due to the incompatability above.

Thanks,

Mohammad

7 Replies
PhilR
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 8

Re: ePO 4.6 compatibility with VMware ESXi 5.1

We've been happily running ePO 4.6.x under ESXi 5.1 for the last 6 months or so without problems.

Cheers,

Phil

alexn
Level 14
Message 3 of 8

I dont know why Mcafee says it is incompatible, I am running ePO 4.6 P4 with no issues.

Thank you for your reply guys, but I need an answer from Mcafee team as my customer had concerns after seeing it is not compatible.

It is just to eliminate the incompatibility possibility when facing any issues in the future.

pierce
Level 13
Message 5 of 8

You should log a support case with McAfee then if you need something from them!

same here running under VMware with zero issues.

The technical definition of compatibility means it's been tested by McAfee and specifically found not to have any problems.

Please understand that it may well function correctly based on peer usage, but that does not mean it's been formally tested by McAfee.

Therefore it can't officially be rubber-stamped as' compatible' until that occurs.

I hope you can understand the difference

Thank you for the clarification rackroyd. But if any problem happened with this setup, is it still supported from McAfee when we open a case with the support team ?

Thanks agan.

I think we would likely still look at the case, but if it later turned out to be specifically due to ESXi 5.1 somehow we would reserve the right to call it an unsupported scenario which may affect the options for resolution.

If it could be proven not to be specific to an ESXi version it would not be a concern.