cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ePO 4.6.3 Scripting type issues with S-expression operators

Jump to solution

Good Evening,

I'm looking to automate using the python API and have run into a scripting challenge.

my SQL query provides what I'm looking for

select [EPOEvents].[DetectedUTC], [EPOEvents].[TargetHostName], [EPOEvents].[ThreatName], [EPOEvents].[ThreatActionTaken], [EPOEvents].[AnalyzerIPV6], [EPOEvents].[AnalyzerMAC], [EPOEvents].[AnalyzerDetectionMethod], [EPOEvents].[ThreatCategory], [EPOEvents].[SourceProcessName], [EPOEvents].[AutoID] from [EPOEvents] where ( [EPOEvents].[DetectedUTC] between '2013-05-30T01:01:06.143' and '2013-05-31T01:01:06.143' ) order by [EPOEvents].[DetectedUTC] desc

but the python executeQuery equivalent is causing an issue.

>>> mc.core.executeQuery(target='EPOEvents', select='(select EPOEvents.DetectedUTC EPOEvents.TargetHostName EPOEvents.ThreatName EPOEvents.ThreatActionTaken EPOEvents.AnalyzerIPV6 EPOEvents.AnalyzerMAC EPOEvents.AnalyzerDetectionMethod EPOEvents.ThreatCategory EPOEvents.SourceProcessName EPOEvents.AutoID)', where="(where (between EPOEvents.DetectedUTC (timestamp \"" + oldTime2 + "\") (timestamp \"" + newTime2 + "\")))", order='( order (desc EPOEvents.DetectedUTC))');

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>

File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/mcafee.py", line 454, in __call__

raise e

mcafee.CommandInvokerError: com.mcafee.orion.core.query.sexp.SexpString cannot be cast to com.mcafee.orion.core.query.sexp.SexpLong

>>> type(oldTime2)

<type 'str'>

>>> oldTime2

'2013-05-30T01:01:06.143'

>>> newTime2

'2013-05-31T01:01:06.143'

Have tried using time.time(), time.gmtime() and others to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: ePO 4.6.3 Scripting type issues with S-expression operators

Jump to solution

Hi Tom,

So the inner workings of core.executeQuery are a bit tricky when it comes to times.  You're on the right track with trying to get to epoch time.

1) The timestamp operator just needs a long value (aka 64-bit int) as an operand (no quotes needed) that represents milliseconds since the epoch.  The where string should look similar to the following:

(where (between EPOEvents.DetectedUTC (timestamp 1369900866140) (timestamp 1369987266140)))

2)  Now, we have to get the time string into millis and with some stackoverflow help here's a sample script that should do what you want.  You'll have to tweak the times a bit for your timezone (I assumed PDT here) and append the timezone offset to your time string to use the iso_to_timestamp function.  If anybody knows an easier way to convert to millis, please share

import mcafee, calendar, datetime, time

def iso_to_timestamp(ts):

"""

Takes ISO 8601 format(string) and converts to epoch time in millis(string).

Adapted from http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12223284/convert-iso8601-format-to-seconds-in-python-without-usin...

"""

dt = datetime.datetime.strptime(ts[:-7],'%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%f') - datetime.timedelta(hours=int(ts[-5:-3]),

minutes=int(ts[-2:]))*int(ts[-6:-5]+'1')

seconds = calendar.timegm(dt.timetuple()) + dt.microsecond/1000000.0

return str(int(seconds*1000))

#

# NOTE: the time strings include the TZ offset (assuming Pacific Daylight Time)

# I tweaked your example to include a 24 hour time window here

#

oldTime2 = iso_to_timestamp('2013-05-30T01:01:06.143-07:00')

newTime2 = iso_to_timestamp('2013-05-31T01:01:06.143-07:00')

#

# Here's arguments for a real simple example using the OrionAuditLog

# I successfully used this against some sample data.

#target_arg='OrionAuditLog'

#select_arg='(select OrionAuditLog.Message OrionAuditLog.StartTime OrionAuditLog.EndTime)'

#where_arg='(where (between OrionAuditLog.StartTime (timestamp ' + oldTime2 + ') (timestamp ' + newTime2 + ')))'

#order_arg='(order (desc OrionAuditLog.StartTime))'

#

# Here's arguments for yours against EPOEvents. Should work.

#

target_arg='EPOEvents'

select_arg='(select EPOEvents.DetectedUTC EPOEvents.TargetHostName EPOEvents.ThreatName EPOEvents.ThreatActionTaken EPOEvents.AnalyzerIPV6 EPOEvents.AnalyzerMAC EPOEvents.AnalyzerDetectionMethod EPOEvents.ThreatCategory EPOEvents.SourceProcessName EPOEvents.AutoID)'

where_arg='(where (between EPOEvents.DetectedUTC (timestamp ' + oldTime2 + ') (timestamp ' + newTime2 + ')))'

order_arg='(order (desc EPOEvents.DetectedUTC))'

# Here's what the where argument should look like

print 'where = ' + where_arg

#replace with your server/port and credentials

#mc = mcafee.client('my-server-name',8443,'my-username','my-password')

r = mc.core.executeQuery(target=target_arg, select=select_arg, where=where_arg, order=order_arg);

# Spit out the results (JSON)

print r

Let me know if that works for you.

-Jeremy

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi Tom,

So the inner workings of core.executeQuery are a bit tricky when it comes to times.  You're on the right track with trying to get to epoch time.

1) The timestamp operator just needs a long value (aka 64-bit int) as an operand (no quotes needed) that represents milliseconds since the epoch.  The where string should look similar to the following:

(where (between EPOEvents.DetectedUTC (timestamp 1369900866140) (timestamp 1369987266140)))

2)  Now, we have to get the time string into millis and with some stackoverflow help here's a sample script that should do what you want.  You'll have to tweak the times a bit for your timezone (I assumed PDT here) and append the timezone offset to your time string to use the iso_to_timestamp function.  If anybody knows an easier way to convert to millis, please share

import mcafee, calendar, datetime, time

def iso_to_timestamp(ts):

"""

Takes ISO 8601 format(string) and converts to epoch time in millis(string).

Adapted from http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12223284/convert-iso8601-format-to-seconds-in-python-without-usin...

"""

dt = datetime.datetime.strptime(ts[:-7],'%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%f') - datetime.timedelta(hours=int(ts[-5:-3]),

minutes=int(ts[-2:]))*int(ts[-6:-5]+'1')

seconds = calendar.timegm(dt.timetuple()) + dt.microsecond/1000000.0

return str(int(seconds*1000))

#

# NOTE: the time strings include the TZ offset (assuming Pacific Daylight Time)

# I tweaked your example to include a 24 hour time window here

#

oldTime2 = iso_to_timestamp('2013-05-30T01:01:06.143-07:00')

newTime2 = iso_to_timestamp('2013-05-31T01:01:06.143-07:00')

#

# Here's arguments for a real simple example using the OrionAuditLog

# I successfully used this against some sample data.

#target_arg='OrionAuditLog'

#select_arg='(select OrionAuditLog.Message OrionAuditLog.StartTime OrionAuditLog.EndTime)'

#where_arg='(where (between OrionAuditLog.StartTime (timestamp ' + oldTime2 + ') (timestamp ' + newTime2 + ')))'

#order_arg='(order (desc OrionAuditLog.StartTime))'

#

# Here's arguments for yours against EPOEvents. Should work.

#

target_arg='EPOEvents'

select_arg='(select EPOEvents.DetectedUTC EPOEvents.TargetHostName EPOEvents.ThreatName EPOEvents.ThreatActionTaken EPOEvents.AnalyzerIPV6 EPOEvents.AnalyzerMAC EPOEvents.AnalyzerDetectionMethod EPOEvents.ThreatCategory EPOEvents.SourceProcessName EPOEvents.AutoID)'

where_arg='(where (between EPOEvents.DetectedUTC (timestamp ' + oldTime2 + ') (timestamp ' + newTime2 + ')))'

order_arg='(order (desc EPOEvents.DetectedUTC))'

# Here's what the where argument should look like

print 'where = ' + where_arg

#replace with your server/port and credentials

#mc = mcafee.client('my-server-name',8443,'my-username','my-password')

r = mc.core.executeQuery(target=target_arg, select=select_arg, where=where_arg, order=order_arg);

# Spit out the results (JSON)

print r

Let me know if that works for you.

-Jeremy

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thank you for this excellent and timely method... Regards, Tom Smith

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community