cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pierce
Level 13
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

ePO 4.6.1 - tasks stay 'in progress' and never clears after using 'run client task now'?

Jump to solution

Hey, has anyone had an issue where on ePO 4.6.1 that some tasks just show as in progress even though the machine has rebooted and checked in with the software I was trying to deploy?

also these tasks cant be disabled so I'm thinking that during the next maintance window a reboot might clear these.

this is ePo 4.6.1 to agent 4.6 and generally happens for EEPC and DLP tasks as thats the main thing im pushing at the moment.

epo in progress.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pierce
Level 13
Message 5 of 5

Re: ePO 4.6.1 - tasks stay 'in progress' and never clears after using 'run client task now'?

Jump to solution

thanks Bakerrl,

Yeah I dont think its anything to worry about too much. the machines are updating and installing its just that screen that dosnt update.

I cycled the mcafee server process and they all vanished so if it gets annoying again I can just do that with minimal fuss.

4 Replies
bakerrl
Level 11
Message 2 of 5

Re: ePO 4.6.1 - tasks stay 'in progress' and never clears after using 'run client task now'?

Jump to solution

I don't know if you are aware but the Run Now task is a one shot deal.  That means that it only runs the task once and will not try again unless you check Run Now again.  So if the machine is not up and you select Run Now it will say In Progress and never complete because it never got to the machine in the first place and never got a response back saying it completed or failed.   That has been my experience.

I would check the agent logs for the machines in question to see if it ever got the task in the first place and attempted to run it.

It is best to set deployments up on a schedule with a wide randomization window.  I typically use Run Now for emergency dat updates or when testing out deploying a product to one machine and I know the machine is up and running.

pierce
Level 13
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution

Hey Bakerrl, thanks for that. Yes that would explain some of the issues. however i know for a fact some machines were online and the tasks went (im trying to upgrade safeboot 5 to 6 so im testing a machine at a time).

seems strange that these tasks would now just terminate themselves after the 20 minute cut off.

Also there is no option to stop this tasks from that page.

bakerrl
Level 11
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

Yes there is no way to stop the tasks from that page.  The only thing you can to is clear the log as far as I know.

The other thing is if there is another task running prior to your Run Now task and it has not completed then the Run Now will say In Progress.  However I don't think that is the issue.

More than likely the agent on the machine is not working properly so checking the logs on the machine or machines in question is the first place to look.

pierce
Level 13
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

thanks Bakerrl,

Yeah I dont think its anything to worry about too much. the machines are updating and installing its just that screen that dosnt update.

I cycled the mcafee server process and they all vanished so if it gets annoying again I can just do that with minimal fuss.