ePO 4.5 "The license for ePolicy Orchestrator is invalid" after restart
I had just gotten through backup up ePO and joining it to our domain (necessitated by host DLP being a bit broken on the ePO side with our domain workstations and ePO not being part of the same domain). After the restart, attempting to log in to the web console gave
"The license for ePolicy Orchestrator is invalid"
"Failed to load license data. To enter a new license, go here"
As I saw in a now archived thread, I attempted to re-add the license and then the process repeats. I would wait a long time to get a logon screen telling me my license is invalid.
I've tried restarting the services and even rebooted the server.
Thanks to a helpful but archived, thread, which said "It turned out the Dynamic port in the SQL config had changed after the server had been restarted. Checked what the port number was in the db.properties file then changed so they both matched, now all is fine."
Sure enough, I checked C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\conf\orion\db.properties and the db.port line had a number in it that was one or two less than any port I found listening on the system. I found a netstat -anob > portlist.txt and then reviewing portlist.txt for instances of sqlserver.exe rather helpful in this regard.
I manually modified that db.port line to match what I observered in the netstat output, restarted 3 of teh Mcafee ePO services, and sanity returned.
Shaking my head at ePO for throwing that error for a "can't find database" issue, and for making dynamic sql ports that move around in ways the freakin software can't deal with.