cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RE: ePO 4.5 and agents not talking to server

I think I figured out what my problem is. At one point in the process, the agent is trying to connect to my server by a shortened name instead of the full name, i.e. advmepo instead of advmepo.(domainname).usu.edu

I have no idea where to go to change that so it will connect properly.

Any ideas?

With epo 3.6.1 you could add a line in the server.ini with the ip of the server, something similar to serveripaddress=10.10.10.10, to force the agents to use this ip. The problem is that the agents must contact one time to apply this config

Yeah, that doesn't quite work for me, because they aren't talking with the server in the first place. If that could be added into the agent before it is sent to them, then maybe that would work.

Any other suggestions?

What does the sitelist.xml on the client have listed for your EPO server?

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\Common Framwork\sitelist.xml

It should have something similar to this:

<SpipeSite Type="master" Name="{EPO SERVER NAME}" Order="1" Enabled="1" Local="0" Server="EPO fully qualified domain name:87" ServerName="Server Name:87" ServerIP="Server IP:87" Version="4.0.0">
<RelativePath>Software</RelativePath>

It should tell is the local server name, as well as the fully qualified name and the IP address. It should try all these before it fails, you will be able to see this in the Agent_<computer name>.log file that is located in the DB folder

Well, it has the server listed in there correctly, the IP in there correctly, and everything, but it still fails when it connects. It says 'Bad IP address data in the registry' and 'Agent communication failed, result=-2147467259'

I am getting very frustrated with ePO 4.5 here. I may have to go back to an older version and see if that fixes it. It isn't that hard with the server being a virtual server, rather than physical hardware.
McAfee Employee JoeBidgood
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 16 of 23

The "bad ip address" message is referring to the registry on the client machine... is there a valid IP address in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\ePolicy Orchestrator\Agent\IPAddress reg value?

Apparently the policy set up with the agent install has that particular field blank, because even putting an ip address in that field, it gets removed the next policy update the agent does.

Very strange.
McAfee Employee
Message 18 of 23

Hmmm... that should be picked up by the framework service when it starts and written into the registry. If you restart the framework service, does it appear?

Thanks -

Joe

No, restarting the framework service does nothing to allow it to be added or anything
McAfee Employee
Message 20 of 23

In that case something is either preventing the agent from picking up the IP address from the machine, or from writing it to the registry. Restart the framework service on an affected machine and after two or three minutes check the agent_<MachineName> log. Are there any relevant messages?

Regards -
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support
  • The McAfee ePO Support Center Plug-in is now available in the Software Manager. Follow the instructions in the Product Guide for more.