cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paul_N
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

ePO 4.5 Patch 1 -> Patch 3 upgrade issues - assistance very welcome!

Jump to solution

All,

We needed to patch our EPO 4.5 Patch 1 server to Patch 3 which I attempted last night, however, I encountered some issues during the upgrade process with the following error:

1: FAILURE: In LaunchAppAndWait while trying to run the following program:
"C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\jre\bin\java.exe"
Return code: 1
Error Message: Incorrect function.
InstallShield xx:xx:xx: Setup aborted

I can see this is well documented here and attempted match up the cases with the issue I was seeing which unfortunately I couldn't do.  I've logged a call with McAfee to assist with this part of the issue I'm having.

However, as a bi-product of the failed installation, I'm now experiencing an issue with our Agent Handlers as can be seen in the attached screenshots.

All of them have become "inactive" and hovering the mouse over each states "The Agent Handler is incompatible with the EPO server".

So I have a couple of questions:

1) Is there any quick way to rectify this scenario from a failed upgrade?

2) I never actually took the Agent Handerlers into consideration during the upgrade - does the patch need to be run on these boxes as well as the main ePO server?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance!

Message was edited by: Paul_N on 03/12/10 05:46:54 CST
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Re: ePO 4.5 Patch 1 -> Patch 3 upgrade issues - assistance very welcome!

Jump to solution

In the patch 3 install set is a folder called Agent Handler - this folder contains the self-contained AH install set, so all you need to do is copy the folder to the AH and run the setup.exe.

HTH -

Joe

4 Replies

Jump to solution

I believe the answer to your question 2 is: yes.  It is is a new version of ePO and I believe that all agent handlers (ePO server is considered an AH as well) need to be at the same version number.

I have not experienced the error you posted, so I cannot help there.  Good luck

Regards,

Mark

Paul_N
Level 7
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution

Thanks Sk1dMARK - useful information on needing to upgrade the Agent Handlers as well.

I take it the software used is the same 'setup.exe' from the epo 4.5 patch 3 download and I assume it recognises the box as an Agent Handler and upgrades as appropriate?

To update on the current situation, we eventually had to restore the snapshot on the server and roll the database back to their latest backups to recover from this in the end.

Before the roll back, I captured the setup logs in a debug mode using the command "setup.exe debugoutput=3" which should have generated the files requored for McAfee to diagnose the this issue "post-mortem" as it were in the case I have open with them at the moment.

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

In the patch 3 install set is a folder called Agent Handler - this folder contains the self-contained AH install set, so all you need to do is copy the folder to the AH and run the setup.exe.

HTH -

Joe

Paul_N
Level 7
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

So there is!

Many thanks Joe - very useful information!