recently have made a backup of one of our ePO server database, had it attached to a remote SQL server and now wanted to check connection. Opened the https://eposerver:8443/core/config page to see if ePO sees the database. After entering new details and pressing Test Connection button, I can see a failure message.
Apart from running a netmon app, can I see somewhere the details of the failure? I could not find it in any ePO logs known to me.
Between the ePO server and the new database location there is a firewall, on which ports 1433 and 1434 were opened - I need to see the logs if more ports need be open, etc.
Thank you for your help and ideas.
What does the error say when you press "Test connection"? I would try checking the connection to the ePO database from the ePO system to the SQL Server for a start.
On the ePO server desktop, right click a blank area and choose new->blank text document
Rename the text document to a file with .udl extension
double click the .udl file
On the popup dialog, click the provider tab
Select Microsoft OLEDB provider for SQL Server and click Next
In the connection tab, enter the sql server instance name in the server name field
Under Enter information field, choose use a specified username and password and provide the same credentials as those you are trying to in ePO core/config page
Click Test Connection button and check if you are able to connect.
Hope that helps,
thank you for responding. After following the steps in your advice, I get the following error, when I press Test Connection:
Test connection failed because of and error in initializing provider.
[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect)).]SQL server does not exist or access denied.
I mentioned that there is a firewall between the ePO server and the future SQL location, and although I requested ports 1433 and 1434 to be open, and I got the feedback that is had been done, I'm not entirely sure it is correctly performed or there is some other port that need be opened.
I specified the connection details like this:
If ADO is failing the connection - then I think we will need to troubleshoot the connectivity - please check if you are able to telnet to the sql port specified. If that works, check the name resolution. I would also check if TCP/IP is enabled and we are not actually using Dynamic Port configuration in SQL Configuration Manager.
If all these look ok, you may want to check this MS KB:
Hope that helps,
I was phrasing the response to your suggestions, when it occurred to me that I should test the connection from my office WAN ePO to the same remote SQL server. The connection was successful and I remembered that I specified the instance name on the config page when I tested it on the problem server, whereas there was no instance name specified on the office ePO server config page.
I tried it this way again, without the instance name, on the problem server and now the connection test was successful.
It seems that it was my fault not to have tested the way I should have. I'm sorry for taking your time in vane.