cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
apoling
Level 14
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

ePO 4.0 DB config page Test Connection: Does it log failures and where?

Hello,

recently have made a backup of one of our ePO server database, had it attached to a remote SQL server and now wanted to check connection. Opened the https://eposerver:8443/core/config page to see if ePO sees the database. After entering new details and pressing Test Connection button, I can see a failure message.

Apart from running a netmon app, can I see somewhere the details of the failure? I could not find it in any ePO logs known to me.

Between the ePO server and the new database location there is a firewall, on which ports 1433 and 1434 were opened - I need to see the logs if more ports need be open, etc.

Thank you for your help and ideas.

Attila

5 Replies
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 6

Re: ePO 4.0 DB config page Test Connection: Does it log failures and where?

Hi Attila,

What does the error say when you press "Test connection"? I would try checking the connection to the ePO database from the ePO system to the SQL Server for a start.

Try this:

On the ePO server desktop, right click a blank area and choose new->blank text document

Rename the text document to a file with .udl extension

double click the .udl file

On the popup dialog, click the provider tab

Select Microsoft OLEDB provider for SQL Server and click Next

In the connection tab, enter the sql server instance name in the server name field

Under Enter information field, choose use a specified username and password and provide the same credentials as those you are trying to in ePO core/config page

Click Test Connection button and check if you are able to connect.

Hope that helps,
Sailendra

apoling
Level 14
Message 3 of 6

Hi Saliendra,

thank you for responding. After following the steps in your advice, I get the following error, when I press Test Connection:

Test connection failed because of and error in initializing provider.
[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect)).]SQL server does not exist or access denied.

I mentioned that there is a firewall between the ePO server and the future SQL location, and although I requested ports 1433 and 1434 to be open, and I got the feedback that is had been done, I'm not entirely sure it is correctly performed or there is some other port that need be opened.

I specified the connection details like this:

serverIP\instance name

SQL user

password

Attila

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Hi ,

If ADO is failing the connection - then I think we will need to troubleshoot the connectivity - please check if you are able to telnet to the sql port specified. If that works, check the name resolution. I would also check if TCP/IP is enabled and we are not actually using Dynamic Port configuration in SQL Configuration Manager.

If all these look ok, you may want to check this MS KB:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328306

Hope that helps,

Sailendra.

apoling
Level 14
Message 5 of 6

Hello,

I was phrasing the response to your suggestions, when it occurred to me that I should test the connection from my office WAN ePO to the same remote SQL server. The connection was successful and I remembered that I specified the instance name on the config page when I tested it on the problem server, whereas there was no instance name specified on the office ePO server config page.

I tried it this way again, without the instance name, on the problem server and now the connection test was successful.

It seems that it was my fault not to have tested the way I should have. I'm sorry for taking your time in vane.

Attila

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

No problem...glad you got it figured out